EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
charles moyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 22:58:13 -0500
Tim,
    Perhaps this will help explain the use and misuse of "occult" in B of M.

from p.11 amazing honesty-
 "If we were to call our subject Perennial Philosophy, Gnosticism,
Neoplatonism, or Hermeticism, some of the contempt and fear prompted by the
label 'occult' might be allayed, for these terms isolate the occult from
ghosts, poltergeists, witches, vampires, werewolves, and the like."
    Then in order to understand the far-reaching range of the  "occult"
 from p.45
    "As with Nietzscheanism, the occult finds adherents across the whole
political spectrum, from conservative authoritarians to revolutionary
anarchists. A case in point is the admiration that Allen Ginsberg, a
left-wing Jewish poet, maintains for the right-wing and anti-Semitic Ezra
Pound. Despite these differences, they share a sedition theory of history
and culture, and a belief in the power of poetry to communicate revelations
of ultimately reality."
    And Bush must have sensed this too because on finding out that some of
the poets recently invited to the White House were intending to protest his
war has cancelled the scheduled seance. Laura says she doesn't want a
"cultural" event to turn into a "political" one. Pardon my wandering.
    Then for an utterly and fantastically strained association
 p.30
    "A two volume expansion of "The Golden Bough" was published in 1900,
and the great twelve-volume expansion appeared between 1911 and 1915. It
was this expanded version that was read by Eliot and his contemporaries. An
abridged edition appeared in 1922 - which coincidentally was also the year
of publication of "Ulysses" and "The Waste Land", and of Mussolini's march
on Rome which ushered in the "era fascista".
    Is there an "occult" connection between these events? Perhaps then we
should also note that only 7 years later Muss made a compact with the
Catholic Church which assured the latter that there would be no endeavor to
extinguish the power of the Vatican. North of there in Germany some 4 years
later in 1933 Hitler's Nazi party was put into power in the Reichstag upon
receiving the support of the Catholic Party certainly not because it was
set upon restoring Wotan. In fact in 1941 H. said "It seems to me that
nothing would be more foolish than to re-establish the worship of Wotan.
Our old mythology ceased to be viable when Christianity implanted itself."
    Christian apologists would have us think other sinister forces were at
work in order to disown the strange products from the underbelly of their
own ugly dualistic psychologies. Only people already mystified by their own
predilections could accept such scapegoat peddling, but certainly not those
who are truly familiar with the works of the credible and serious scholars
who have been thrown into the arena with the Blavatskys and Crowleys. Still
I wonder how Evola and Raglan were missed?

    "'Daphne with her thighs in bark
       Stretches toward me her leafy hands,'-
       Subjectively."

But never a vampire or a werewolf-