EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
charles moyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 11:25:59 -0500
    Jawohl, my typo. I wouldn't want unfairly to cast asparagus on LS's
grammar. He expresses himself more than clearly.
    Good of you to point out that sedition is to government what heresy is
to religion. I wonder. Does war compound these relations? Define them? "Yur
either with us or against us". When does dissent become treason or apostasy?
When does the esoteric and mythopoetic become occult? What nut addresses a
muse? Who could ever imagine the artists taking over the world but the
artists? How expendable they are to the State in every age! And how they
have known it since the time of Ovid.
    A sign recently seen in Washington- "One Nation under surveillance"
Is there a reason to believe that the Federal Reserve is divinely inspired?
Are there Masonic symbols on the greenback?
    Should Kurt Hoffmann be tried for treason or heresy for writing, "It is
the misfortune of politics that it is primarily the false myths that have
shaped history - myths of earthly redemption, the apocalyptic myth of the
classless society, the myths of blood and soil and the chosen people."? Is
there any room for discursive thought on these? Any accusation that they
thrive in the dark and secret heart nurturing resentment?

  "I envy your courage of absolute defiance, words inflamed, the
    fierce maledictions of a prophet.

    The demure smiles of ironists are preserved in museums, not
    as everlasting art, just as a memento of unbelief.

    While your blasphemous howl still resounds in a neon desert
    where the human tribe wanders, sentenced to unreality.

    Walt Whitman listens and says, 'Yes, that's the way to talk, in
    order to conduct men and women to where everything is
    fulfillment. Where they would live in a transubstantiated
    moment."

    And your journalistic cliches, your beard and beads and your
    dress of a rebel of another epoch are forgiven.

    As we do not look for what is perfect, we look for what remains
    of incessant striving."
                            -from "To Allen Ginsberg" by Czeslaw Milosz
Charles