EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 23:05:31 -0600
But Pound's writing, line by line, is perfectly clear. The references,
foreign phrases, can be cleared up with a gloss, or one can skip them to
begin with. As the demands for "major form" show, the "problem" concerns
what the "secret" behind the surface clarity is. And then almost all
texts become "difficult."

Pound in I think an early essay compared the two statements, "Buy me a
pound of two-penny nails" and "Buy me the kind of painting I like."

The _Time_ reviewer of _Thrones_ was moved to echo an image from the
poem to describe the poem: the clarity of gin in cut glass.

Carrol