EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Richard Seddon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 15:54:52 -0700
Tim

No: Surette is not trying to say that Pound was a member of a secret society
or that he participated in secret rituals.  Pound was closely associated
with a lot of people who did.  It is the ideas and the thinking of the
Occult that Pound was soaked in that Surette is concerned with.  Surette
reads "The Cantos" as Pound's revelation of a secret history.

A lazy guy should be able to read "Royalty and All That", chapter 47 of
"Guide to Kulchur".  If you are really a couch potato pay particular
attention to page 264.  This will give you a taste for Pound's belief in
Secret history.

Part of the problem I think is the emotional baggage we bring to the word,
"occult".  As I said Surette spends the first 100 pages of his book
reviewing the history and central ideas of Occultism.

Dictionary definition for the lazy.
1. Beyond ordinary knowledge
2. secret; known only to the initiated.
3. dealing with the supernatural or magical; the occult sciences

Where Pound is Occult is in his affinitinity for the first two.  Yeats
managed all three.  Pound rejected magical but not the supernatural.

Rick Seddon
McIntosh, NM