EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
charles moyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 09:03:22 -0500
Tim,
   As I suspected, but I'm sure Eliot's conversion also helped against the
discouraging chances that the "Stukas" might score a direct hit on his flat
also sprach etc. And not to experience B. Russell's Princeton experience.
    Of course "Christ follows Dionysus". Rudiments possibly very much
reswallowed and redigested through many centuries of stomachs if Frazer
would have had the stomach to say so. See what Graves said-
    "Sir James Frazer was able to keep his beautiful rooms at Trinity
College, Cambridge, until his death by carefully and methodically sailing
all round his dangerous subject, as if charting the coastline of a forbidden
island without actually committing himself to a declaration that it existed.
What he was saying-not-saying was that Christian legend, dogma and ritual
are the refinement of a great body of primitive and even barbarous beliefs,
and that almost the only original element in Christianity is the personality
of Jesus."
    "High formality" and "Brittlishness" aside I think that Pound saw it as
"possuming" if not tainted a bit with intellectual dishonesty and kept
needling Eliot for it.
    I must admit though I also have had my P.S. moment of ritual performance
when as a minister in The Universal Life Church (since 1969) I helped
officiate at Bob Kaufman's wedding in 1975-1976? on Mt. Tamalpais.
"but never an ape or a bear".

Charles

P.S. Can anyone translate "Protopheriius"? I get "Marse Supial", of course,
but not "protopheriius"