From:
Greg Sorenson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 29 Apr 1994 14:37:42 CDT
Steve Weisfeldt writes:

>With no disrespect meant to the BU faithful, the reason I've always
>disliked Jack Parker is that he always seems to have the refs in his
>pocket.  The cheer "Hockey East is fixed!!  Hockey Easy is fixed!!" is
>quite frequently heard when BU gets a questionable call in its favor at a
>crucial point in a game.  It almost seems to me that some refs are
>intimidated by him - sort of like Don Shula in the NFL.

What is the "victory threshold" coaches pass that then leads opposing
fans to think that the coach has pocketed the refs? 300? 350?
I noticed similar jeers against Ron Mason two years ago, most
notably at Ferris State. But other good coaches who are equally despised
by opponents (Walsh, Berenson, et al) don't get that rap, since they
don't have the numbers yet. Interesting...

Greg

"If they hadn't done what I told 'em not to do,
they'd still be alive." --Mr. Blonde.