GEOLIBRARY-L Archives

Maine GeoNews

GEOLIBRARY-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Kelly Bellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Bellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 2014 19:22:21 -0500
text/plain (6 kB) multipart/related (6 kB) , text/html (11 kB) , image/png (141 kB) , image/png (141 kB) , image/png (141 kB) , image/png (16 kB) , image/png (14 kB) , image/png (17 kB) , image/png (17 kB) , image/gif (17 kB)

<http://panocea.us/true-lidar-stories/>

This is a four-part video series that has been prepared for the
University of Maine and its Surveying Engineering Technology Program to
help illustrate the day-to-day applications of LiDAR in land surveying.

They have also been prepared with the hope that they may be
informational for practicing surveyors and other spatial data providers.

	These videos have been produced in HD and you'll get the best picture
by adjusting the YouTube settings (little gear icon that appears in the
lower right corner of each video frame after you've started the video)
to HD, then pause it a second or two to buffer before going full screen
(little square icon).

HD Non-Streaming Alternatives:
To download; Right click over link, Save As...
Part One
<http://panocea.us/True-LiDAR-Stories/True%20LiDAR%20Stories%20-%20Part%20One.f4v>
(513 MB)
Part Two
<http://panocea.us/True-LiDAR-Stories/True%20LiDAR%20Stories%20-%20Part%20Two.f4v>
(460 MB)
Part Three
<http://panocea.us/True-LiDAR-Stories/True%20LiDAR%20Stories%20-%20Part%2003.f4v>
(991 MB)
Part Four
<http://panocea.us/True-LiDAR-Stories/True%20LiDAR%20Stories%20-%20Part%20Four.f4v>
(857 MB)

	*True LiDAR Stories - Part One
A Setback Study*
Production date: February 2014
Link: True LiDAR Stories - Part One - YouTube <http://youtu.be/Npcagcw-j0Y>

In Part One we look at a typical setback study utilizing the Maine
Department of Environmental Protection's current criteria of Highest
Annual Tide as the basis from which we measure. The building setback in
this example is in a town where a more stringent setback requirement of
100' has been promulgated and is in contrast with the State of Maine's
minimum building setback of 75' from salt water bodies

	*True LiDAR Stories - Part Two
Study of A Setback*
Production date: February 2014
Link: True LiDAR Stories - Part Two - YouTube <http://youtu.be/XODiBfuGdgc>

In Part One (True LiDAR Stories - Part One - YouTube
<http://youtu.be/Npcagcw-j0Y>) we looked at a typical setback study
utilizing the Maine Department of Environmental Protection's current
criteria of Highest *Annual* Tide as the basis from which we measure. In
this part, utilizing LiDAR, we will take a closer examination of what
inconsistencies are introduced by not using the Highest *Astronomic*
Tide for the current National Tidal Datum Epoch and the impacts that
could be seen when applied to building setbacks. In this example,
applying the State of Maine's minimum building setback of 75' from salt
water bodies, we see what I've referred to as /Dave's Magic Shed/, a
fictitious 10' x 12' structure which in one year lies completely upland
of the 75' setback (Highest *Annual* Tide) and in another year,
completely seaward.

*Part Two Resources*:
VDatum (awesome vertical and horizontal transformation program, FREE):
VDatum: NOAA/NOS/Vertical Datum Transformation <http://vdatum.noaa.gov/>
Maine DEP Shoreland Zoning: Shoreland Zoning, Bur. of Land & Water
Quality, Maine Department of Environmental Protection
<http://www.maine.gov/dep/land/slz/index.html>
MDEP's 2013 HAT Table (currently no table for 2014):
http://www.maine.gov/dep/land/slz/predictions.pdf
Tidal Datums: Tidal Datums - NOAA Tides & Currents
<http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/datum_options.html>
Tide Predictions: Tide Predictions - NOAA Tides & Currents
<http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/tide_predictions.html>
XTide (awesome Unix-based program, FREE): XTide: Harmonic tide clock and
tide predictor <http://www.flaterco.com/xtide/>

	*True LiDAR Stories - Part Three
That's Classified*
Production date: February 2014
Link: True LiDAR Stories - Part Three - YouTube
<http://youtu.be/cFDuCdF_nYk><http://youtu.be/cFDuCdF_nYk>

In Part One (True LiDAR Stories - Part One - YouTube
<http://youtu.be/Npcagcw-j0Y>) and Part Two (True LiDAR Stories - Part
Two - YouTube <http://youtu.be/XODiBfuGdgc>) we looked at setback issues
predicated on LiDAR-derrived contours. In this part, we will take a
closer examination as to which specific LiDAR points are used for
contour generation and the shortcomings of the classification process
that users of LiDAR data need to be aware of and when it is appropriate
to employ reclassification algorithms. In this example, we see what I've
referred to as a hole in the ground, an area that is clearly on open
lawn yet devoid of legitimate bare ground returns and which instead have
been classified as UNCLASSIFIED. Reclassification of the UNCLASSIFIED
pulses allows us to fill in that hole and thereby generate contours more
closely representative of the truth on the ground.

*Part Three Resources*:
USGS Center for LIDAR Information: CLICK <http://lidar.cr.usgs.gov/>
USGS Base Specifications used in 2010-2011 deliverables:
http://lidar.cr.usgs.gov/USGS-NGP%20...%28ILMF%29.pdf
<http://lidar.cr.usgs.gov/USGS-NGP%20Lidar%20Guidelines%20and%20Base%20Specification%20v13%28ILMF%29.pdf>
MCC-LIDAR is a command line application (FREE) for processing LiDAR data
in forested environments. It classifies data points as ground or
non-ground using the Multiscale Curvature Classification algorithm
developed by Jeffrey S. Evans and Andrew T. Hudak.
MCC-LIDAR's Home page: MCC-LIDAR
<http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/mcclidar/>
MCC-LIDAR's How to Run MCC-LIDAR: HowToRun ? MCC-LIDAR
<http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/mcclidar/wiki/HowToRun>

	*True LiDAR Stories - Part Four
Epilog*
Production date: February 2014
Link: True LiDAR Stories - Part Four - YouTube
<http://youtu.be/T_m2TwGzy4o>

In this last part, we discuss sources of LiDAR data, where you may
obtain it and other geospatial products as well as taking a peek at its
present coverage across the State of Maine. Lastly, is the reminder to
always vet your data; both that data which is given to you as well as
the data that you produce.

*Part Four Resources*:
Maine Office of GIS Home page: Maine Office of GIS
<http://www.maine.gov/megis>
Maine Office Catalog page: Maine Office of GIS
<http://www.maine.gov/megis/catalog/>
USGS Center for LIDAR Information: CLICK <http://lidar.cr.usgs.gov/>
USGS's EarthExplorer: EarthExplorer <http://earthexplorer.usgs.gov/>
USGS Global Visualization Viewer: USGS Global Visualization Viewer
<http://glovis.usgs.gov/>

--

V. Kelly Bellis, PLS 2099 - 17 Union Street - Ellsworth, ME 04605
[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> - 207.667.6912 -

This list Maine GeoNews (GEOLIBRARY-L) is an unmoderated discussion list for all Maine GIS Users. If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from this list, you can remove your name and email address yourself at the this web address:

http://lists.maine.edu/cgi/wa?SUBED1=geolibrary-l&A=1

Or,you may also request that your name be removed by sending email to: