GEOLIBRARY-L Archives

Maine GeoNews

GEOLIBRARY-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"V. Kelly Bellis" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
V. Kelly Bellis
Date:
Thu, 1 Jan 2015 05:05:12 -0500

Hi Tora,

After talking with Gretchen and looking into GISP certification /a
little further
<http://www.gisci.org/applicants/applicationsmaterials.aspx>/, I'm not
as personally interested in chasing it at this time. Thanks for your
answer anyway; and with those thanks, my hope that this question may
have planted a seed for others to consider for their continuing education.

Kind regards,

Kelly

--

V. Kelly Bellis, ME PLS 2099 :: WQTS485
1 7 Union Street :: Ellsworth, ME 04605

On 12/31/2014 10:31 AM, Tora Johnson wrote:
> Hi Kelly,
>
> I'm so sorry I missed this when it came in! We do discuss the GISP
> certification with advanced certificate students, and the program
> itself counts for EDU points. However, as Gretchen mentioned,
> certification also requires experience and contributions to the
> profession. While we do our best to get students to do things like
> participate in conferences and to apply GIS in the workforce, they are
> not included in the certificate, per se.
>
> Tora
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Tora Johnson
> Director/ Instructor
> GIS Service Center & Laboratory, Torrey 223
> University of Maine at Machias
> [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> / [log in to unmask]
> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
> (207) 255-1214
>
> "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in
> practice, there is."
> - source unknown
>
> Like the UMM GIS Program on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/ummgis
>
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 1:09 PM, V. Kelly Bellis <[log in to unmask]
> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>

>     Thanks Tora.
>
>     Is there a single course of study offered that would include GISP
>     certification upon completion?
>

>     On 12/17/2014 12:35 PM, Tora Johnson wrote:
>>     Dear Colleagues,
>>
>>     It's time to enroll in UMM computer mapping classes for the
>>     spring! We've got some new web-only courses, including GIS II and
>>     Remote Sensing. See the list below. All of our courses focus on
>>     real-world, practical applications.
>>
>>     To enroll, the UMM registrar a call at 207-255-1223
>>     <tel:207-255-1223>. To learn more about our award winning courses
>>     and programs, visit http://machias.edu/gis. Any questions? feel
>>     free to call or write to me; my contact info is below.

This list Maine GeoNews (GEOLIBRARY-L) is an unmoderated discussion list for all Maine GIS Users. If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from this list, you can remove your name and email address yourself at the this web address:

http://lists.maine.edu/cgi/wa?SUBED1=geolibrary-l&A=1

Or,you may also request that your name be removed by sending email to: