GEOLIBRARY-L Archives

Maine GeoNews

GEOLIBRARY-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Young, Joseph" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Young, Joseph
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2017 13:13:11 +0000
Good Morning All,

This is an attempt to clarify some confusion regarding MeGIS funding.

In the FY16 and 17 budget cycle MeGIS was funded by rates assessed on agencies using the MeGIS enterprise services. MeGIS rates were separate from other OIT rates.

In the FY18 and 19 budget proposed by the Governor, funding for MeGIS was included in a request for a general fund appropriation. Agencies were told not to budget for GIS services because of this change, and the intent was to avoid budgeting for GIS operations in two places, state agency rates and a general fund allotment.

In the final budget, the general fund appropriation request to cover GIS operations was rejected. This left MeGIS without a source of funding, because agencies had not budgeted for rates supporting MeGIS. The current balance in OIT funding does not include MeGIS operations. OIT is providing funding for MeGIS on a temporary basis until a solution to the funding issue can be solved.

I hope this helps in understanding our problem.

Fortunately, because of the outpouring of support from the GIS community, leadership has become more acutely aware of the critical need for GIS services and is working to find a solution. I have been assured that a solution will be found and MeGIS will continue to provide services.

Thank you for your support and please contact me if you have more questions.

Respectfully,

Joe

Joseph Young
Maine Office of GIS, Administrative Director
Maine Library of Geographic Information, Executive Director
SHS 145
51 Commerce Drive<[log in to unmask],-69.802412,822m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x4cb206d051eb934d:0x1075539d44caa8f0!6m1!1e1C:/Users/joseph.young.SOM/Documents/ArcGIS" target="_blank">https:[log in to unmask],-69.802412,822m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x4cb206d051eb934d:0x1075539d44caa8f0!6m1!1e1C:/Users/joseph.young.SOM/Documents/ArcGIS>
Augusta, Maine 04333-0145
Voice: 207-624-9539
Cell: 207-624-2664
https://www1.maine.gov/megis/
https://www1.maine.gov/geolib/

This list Maine GeoNews (GEOLIBRARY-L) is an unmoderated discussion list for all Maine GIS Users. If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from this list, you can remove your name and email address yourself at the this web address:

http://lists.maine.edu/cgi/wa?SUBED1=geolibrary-l&A=1

Or,you may also request that your name be removed by sending email to: