DAILY-ASTRONOMER Archives

Daily doses of information related to astronomy, including physics,

DAILY-ASTRONOMER@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Edward Herrick-Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward Herrick-Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2023 12:00:00 -0400
THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Thursday, March 30, 2023
Your H-R Diagram Guide

Named for its two inventors, American astronomer Henry Norris Russell
(1877-1957) and Danish astronomer Enjar Hertzsprung (1873-1967), this
diagram plots stars according to their spectral types and luminosities.
Astronomers have used this diagram to ascertain so many stellar properties.
We offer the first glimpse of this powerful tool below:

The lower horizontal axis lists the spectra types* OBAFGKM. On this scale,
O is the hottest and M is the coolest. We can see the associated
temperature range at the upper horizontal axis. Along the left vertical
axis is the absolute magnitude. Absolute magnitude equals the star's
magnitude at a distance of 10 parsecs. Absolute magnitude is the measure of
a star's intrinsic brightness. At the right hand axis we see the luminosity
in terms of the Sun. A star with a luminosity value of 1 is as luminous as
the Sun. A star less luminous would appear lower on the graph and one more
luminous would appear higher.

The luminosity equation equates a star's energy output with its size and
temperature. The larger and hotter the star, the more luminous it will be.
When we plot the stars according to luminosity and spectral type
(temperature), we should expect to see a direct correlation. Indeed, we do
observe this correlation for the majority of stars, those that appear along
a band called the main sequence.

Even though each star within the main sequence is considered a "dwarf"
star, their sizes and masses vary considerably. As we will discover next
week, a star's luminosity is related to its mass. (In fact, mass determines
a star's entire life cycle.) Main sequence stars are those within a band
that begins at the lower right and continues to the upper left. At the
lower right one finds red dwarf stars, such as Ross 248. These are the low
mass, low temperature, low luminosity stars. They are also the most common,
representing approximately 76 percent of all main sequence stars. Red
dwarfs are those stars that just became hot enough to ignite and sustain
the core thermonuclear fusion reactions that power stars. As one proceeds
toward the left of the main sequence, it ascends up the diagram as we
should expect. When we reach the G-section we find the Sun, classified as a
G2 V star. (The V is a luminosity class distinction meaning dwarf.)
Continuing on to the left, we climb higher until reaching the pinnacle of
the main sequence at the ultra hot, blue-white stars that are about 100
times more massive and a million times more luminous than the Sun.

The image below shows us the relative sizes and predominant colors of the
various main sequence stars.

At the left the M type red dwarfs; at the right the 0 type blue "dwarfs."

Main Sequence Stars:

   - Every star begins its life cycle on the main sequence. As a star
   evolves, it will move away from the main sequence to other regions within
   the H-R diagram.
   - Every main sequence star is fusing hydrogen into helium
   - The more massive and hotter the main sequence star the more luminous
   it will be.
   - The Sun serves as a demarcation within the main sequence. The stars
   that are more luminous are part of the upper main sequence; those less
   luminous comprise the lower main sequence
   - The more massive and therefore luminous main sequence stars have a
   shorter life cycle than those that are less massive and luminous. The life
   spans of the high mass/high luminosity stars range between 8 - 12 million
   years while the red dwarf lifetimes can exceed one trillion years.
   - Every main sequence star is a "dwarf."
   - The majority of main sequence stars are M type dwarfs (76%). As we
   move left along the spectral classes, the proportions decrease. K stars
   (12.1%), G (7.6%), F (3%), A (0.6%), B (0.12%), O (0.00003%) '

The H R Diagram will enable us to follow any star's evolutionary cycle.

Ever since the H-R Diagram was developed around 1910, it has proven to be
astronomy's most powerful tool for discerning stellar properties. Named for
its two developers, Henry Norris Russell and Enjar Hertzsprung, this
diagram relates stars' spectral types (or effective temperatures) to their
absolute magnitudes (or luminosities.)

The image below shows the basic H-R Diagram again. Along the lower row are
the spectral types. Along the upper row, are listed the effective
temperatures corresponding to the spectral types. Along the left is listed
the absolute magnitude and to the right the corresponding luminosities.

Now that we've established the main sequence, we will start using the
diagram to learn how to discern the properties of stars. We'll begin with
two examples: Betelgeuse, Orion's eastern shoulder star and Sirius B, the
companion star to Sirius, the brightest star in Canis Major.

BETELGEUSE:

Absolute magnitude: -5.85

Spectral type: M2

First, the absolute magnitude places Betelgeuse high along the H-R Diagram,
while the spectral type places it well to the right. We see that Betelgeuse
occupies a position toward the upper right of our diagram. What inferences
can we now make about Betelgeuse based on the information provided?

   - Betelgeuse is highly luminous. [It is more than 90,000 times more
   luminous than the Sun. This luminosity changes because Betelgeuse is a
   variable star. More on that topic later.]
   - Betelgeuse is quite "cool." [As an M2 star, its effective temperature
   is approximately 3,600 K.]
   - Since Betelgeuse is both cool, but highly luminous, we can also
   conclude it is quite large. Remember that a star's luminosity is
   proportional to the square of its surface area and to the fourth power of
   its effective temperature. [Betelgeuse's radius is approximately 900 times
   that of the Sun's.]
   - As it is not on the main sequence, it is no longer fusing hydrogen
   into helium. We know that Betelgeuse is toward the end of its life
   cycle, but we cannot know precisely what fusion reactions are occurring in
   its core. All we know is that its core hydrogen fusion days are over.
   - Betelgeuse is a supergiant star

SIRIUS B

Absolute magnitude: +11.18

Spectral type: A2

We can set Sirius B low on the H-R Diagram due to its high absolute
magnitude. However, with a spectral type of A2, Sirius B would also be
placed along the right. What can we conclude about Sirius B based on this
information and its lower right position on the HR Diagram?

   - Sirius B's luminosity is very low! [It is about 5% as luminous as the
   Sun.]
   - Sirius B is quite hot. [With a spectral type of A2, Sirius B's
   effective temperature equals 25,000 K.]
   - Since Sirius B is both cool, but not very luminous, it must be quite
   small. [Its radius is 0.8% that of the Sun.] In fact, Sirius B is not an
   active star at all. It is, instead, a stellar remnant known as a "white
   dwarf." It is no longer generating energy in its core through
   thermonuclear fusion reactions. We will be discussing white dwarf stars in
   greater detail later this week.

In these two examples, we were able to infer more information about these
two stars merely by knowing their absolute magnitudes and spectral types.
Before proceeding, we will introduce another stellar category: luminosity
class.

   - O-Ia+ Hypergiants. Extremely rare form of high luminosity star.
   Example Cygnus OB2-12: luminosity 2 million times that of the Sun.
   - Ia Luminous supergiants. Also quite rare. Luminosity more than a
   hundred thousand times that of the Sun. Example: Eta Carinae.
   - Iab Intermediate luminous supergiants. Luminosity: tens of thousands
   of times greater than the Sun. Example: Betelgeuse
   - Ib Less luminous Supergiants Stars that are just luminous enough to be
   classified as supergiants. Luminosities more than 10,000 times that of the
   Sun.
   - II Bright giants Still highly luminous, but not considered supergiants
   due to their spectra. Luminosity thousands of times greater than the Sun's.
   Example: Omicron Scorpii
   - III Normal giants Generally stars between 10 and a couple thousand
   times that of the Sun. Example: Arcturus
   - IV Subgiants Stars that are more luminous than main sequence stars but
   not as luminous as giant stars. Example: Bellatrix
   - V Dwarfs Main sequence stars. The luminosity is directly related to
   mass. Example: The Sun
   - VI Subdwarfs Stars that are still fusing hydrogen into helium in their
   cores but are less luminous than main sequence stars. These stars are
   believed to be "metal poor," which decreases their outer layer opacity
   resulting in reduced radiation pressure. Example: Kapteyn's Star
   - VII White dwarfs. Stellar remnants. All thermonuclear fusion reactions
   have ceased. Example: Sirius B

Below we can see the different luminosity class locations within the H-R
Diagram:

[Note: The L and T spectral types refer to "brown dwarfs," those gaseous
bodies that did not become sufficiently massive to produce temperatures
necessary for thermonuclear fusion reactions to occur. We will discuss
brown dwarfs in greater detail later.]

Now that we've included these sections, the H-R Diagram will also enable us
to determine a star's luminosity class.

Let's now classify some of the night sky's best known stars: Aldebaran,
Altair, Antares and Deneb.

[Note: The Sun's absolute magnitude is 4.86. Any star with a lower absolute
magnitude will be intrinsically brighter than the Sun. Any star with a
higher absolute magnitude will be intrinsically fainter.]

Aldebaran (Taurus the Bull)
Absolute magnitude: -0.641

Spectral type: K5

Cooler than the Sun, but much more luminous.

When we place Aldebaran in its proper HR position, we see that it is a
giant star.

Luminosity class III

Altair (Aquila the Eagle)

Absolute magnitude: 2.22

Spectral type: A7

Hotter than the Sun

We can fit Altair directly into the main sequence.

Luminosity class V

Antares (Scorpius the Scorpion)

Absolute magnitude: -5.28

Spectral type: M1

Cooler than the Sun but significantly more luminous

Antares is located in the upper right hand region, the realm of the
supergiants. Luminosity class: Iab

Deneb (Cygnus the Swan)

Absolute magnitude: -8.38

Spectral type: A2

Much hotter and much more luminous than the Sun. We place Deneb high along
the H-R Diagram, but much farther left than Betelgeuse and Antares. Still a
supergiant.

Luminosity class: Ia

One can see those stars and many others on this H-R Diagram sample provided
below.

We can now place any star on the H-R Diagram with just two pieces of
information. That placement alone yields more information pertaining to the
star's luminosity class.

These classes range from the hypergiants (O-Ia+) to white dwarfs (VII).
Now, we'll add more details to the HR Diagram so as to learn other stellar
properties. The first of the new details involves stellar radii.

Before we proceed, let's quickly review two important geometric terms:
spherical radius and spherical volume.

A radius is the straight line distance from a sphere's center to any point
along the sphere's surface. Most stars can be considered spherical to a
fair degree of accuracy.

One can calculate a sphere's volume if the radius is known. For instance,
the volume of a sphere with a ten foot radius is 4/3(pi)(1000) = 4,188
cubic feet. Even though the radius is small, the volume is quite large.
Numbers become impressively big when you cube them. It is for this reason
that stars which have radii only a few times greater than the Sun's will
actually be much larger in terms of volume. For instance, a star with a
radius ten times greater than the Sun's will be 1000 times larger by volume.

RADIUS:

We next present the H-R Diagram that includes stellar radii demarcations:

Merely by placing a star on the diagram one can readily determine its
radius and therefore also its volume. Let's look at two examples: the stars
Arcturus and Deneb.

Arcturus:

Spectral type: K0

Absolute magnitude: -0.30

With an absolute magnitude of -0.30, Arcturus' luminosity is 170 times
greater than the Sun's. Arcturus is then placed on the upper right of the
diagram. It is above the line marking 10 solar radii. Its actual radius is
25 times that of the Sun and is nearly 16,000 times larger in terms of
volume.