THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Thursday, March 30, 2023
Your H-R Diagram Guide

Named for its two inventors, American astronomer Henry Norris Russell (1877-1957) and Danish astronomer Enjar Hertzsprung (1873-1967), this diagram plots stars according to their spectral types and luminosities. Astronomers have used this diagram to ascertain so many stellar properties. We offer the first glimpse of this powerful tool below:

The lower horizontal axis lists the spectra types* OBAFGKM. On this scale, O is the hottest and M is the coolest. We can see the associated temperature range at the upper horizontal axis. Along the left vertical axis is the absolute magnitude. Absolute magnitude equals the star's magnitude at a distance of 10 parsecs. Absolute magnitude is the measure of a star's intrinsic brightness. At the right hand axis we see the luminosity in terms of the Sun. A star with a luminosity value of 1 is as luminous as the Sun. A star less luminous would appear lower on the graph and one more luminous would appear higher.

The luminosity equation equates a star's energy output with its size and temperature. The larger and hotter the star, the more luminous it will be. When we plot the stars according to luminosity and spectral type (temperature), we should expect to see a direct correlation. Indeed, we do observe this correlation for the majority of stars, those that appear along a band called the main sequence.

Even though each star within the main sequence is considered a "dwarf" star, their sizes and masses vary considerably. As we will discover next week, a star's luminosity is related to its mass. (In fact, mass determines a star's entire life cycle.) Main sequence stars are those within a band that begins at the lower right and continues to the upper left. At the lower right one finds red dwarf stars, such as Ross 248. These are the low mass, low temperature, low luminosity stars. They are also the most common, representing approximately 76 percent of all main sequence stars. Red dwarfs are those stars that just became hot enough to ignite and sustain the core thermonuclear fusion reactions that power stars. As one proceeds toward the left of the main sequence, it ascends up the diagram as we should expect. When we reach the G-section we find the Sun, classified as a G2 V star. (The V is a luminosity class distinction meaning dwarf.) Continuing on to the left, we climb higher until reaching the pinnacle of the main sequence at the ultra hot, blue-white stars that are about 100 times more massive and a million times more luminous than the Sun.

The image below shows us the relative sizes and predominant colors of the various main sequence stars.

At the left the M type red dwarfs; at the right the 0 type blue "dwarfs."

Main Sequence Stars:

The H R Diagram will enable us to follow any star's evolutionary cycle.

Ever since the H-R Diagram was developed around 1910, it has proven to be astronomy's most powerful tool for discerning stellar properties. Named for its two developers, Henry Norris Russell and Enjar Hertzsprung, this diagram relates stars' spectral types (or effective temperatures) to their absolute magnitudes (or luminosities.)

The image below shows the basic H-R Diagram again. Along the lower row are the spectral types. Along the upper row, are listed the effective temperatures corresponding to the spectral types. Along the left is listed the absolute magnitude and to the right the corresponding luminosities.

Now that we've established the main sequence, we will start using the diagram to learn how to discern the properties of stars. We'll begin with two examples: Betelgeuse, Orion's eastern shoulder star and Sirius B, the companion star to Sirius, the brightest star in Canis Major.

BETELGEUSE:

Absolute magnitude: -5.85

Spectral type: M2

First, the absolute magnitude places Betelgeuse high along the H-R Diagram, while the spectral type places it well to the right. We see that Betelgeuse occupies a position toward the upper right of our diagram. What inferences can we now make about Betelgeuse based on the information provided?

SIRIUS B

Absolute magnitude: +11.18

Spectral type: A2

We can set Sirius B low on the H-R Diagram due to its high absolute magnitude. However, with a spectral type of A2, Sirius B would also be placed along the right. What can we conclude about Sirius B based on this information and its lower right position on the HR Diagram?

In these two examples, we were able to infer more information about these two stars merely by knowing their absolute magnitudes and spectral types. Before proceeding, we will introduce another stellar category: luminosity class.

Below we can see the different luminosity class locations within the H-R Diagram:

[Note: The L and T spectral types refer to "brown dwarfs," those gaseous bodies that did not become sufficiently massive to produce temperatures necessary for thermonuclear fusion reactions to occur. We will discuss brown dwarfs in greater detail later.]

Now that we've included these sections, the H-R Diagram will also enable us to determine a star's luminosity class.

Let's now classify some of the night sky's best known stars: Aldebaran, Altair, Antares and Deneb.

[Note: The Sun's absolute magnitude is 4.86. Any star with a lower absolute magnitude will be intrinsically brighter than the Sun. Any star with a higher absolute magnitude will be intrinsically fainter.]

Aldebaran (Taurus the Bull)
Absolute magnitude: -0.641

Spectral type: K5

Cooler than the Sun, but much more luminous.

When we place Aldebaran in its proper HR position, we see that it is a giant star.

Luminosity class III

Altair (Aquila the Eagle)

Absolute magnitude: 2.22

Spectral type: A7

Hotter than the Sun

We can fit Altair directly into the main sequence.

Luminosity class V

Antares (Scorpius the Scorpion)

Absolute magnitude: -5.28

Spectral type: M1

Cooler than the Sun but significantly more luminous

Antares is located in the upper right hand region, the realm of the supergiants. Luminosity class: Iab

Deneb (Cygnus the Swan)

Absolute magnitude: -8.38

Spectral type: A2

Much hotter and much more luminous than the Sun. We place Deneb high along the H-R Diagram, but much farther left than Betelgeuse and Antares. Still a supergiant.

Luminosity class: Ia

One can see those stars and many others on this H-R Diagram sample provided below.

We can now place any star on the H-R Diagram with just two pieces of information. That placement alone yields more information pertaining to the star's luminosity class.

These classes range from the hypergiants (O-Ia+) to white dwarfs (VII). Now, we'll add more details to the HR Diagram so as to learn other stellar properties. The first of the new details involves stellar radii.

Before we proceed, let's quickly review two important geometric terms: spherical radius and spherical volume.

radius is the straight line distance from a sphere's center to any point along the sphere's surface. Most stars can be considered spherical to a fair degree of accuracy.

One can calculate a sphere's volume if the radius is known. For instance, the volume of a sphere with a ten foot radius is 4/3(pi)(1000) = 4,188 cubic feet. Even though the radius is small, the volume is quite large. Numbers become impressively big when you cube them. It is for this reason that stars which have radii only a few times greater than the Sun's will actually be much larger in terms of volume. For instance, a star with a radius ten times greater than the Sun's will be 1000 times larger by volume.

RADIUS:

We next present the H-R Diagram that includes stellar radii demarcations:

Merely by placing a star on the diagram one can readily determine its radius and therefore also its volume. Let's look at two examples: the stars Arcturus and Deneb.

Arcturus:

Spectral type: K0

Absolute magnitude: -0.30

With an absolute magnitude of -0.30, Arcturus' luminosity is 170 times greater than the Sun's. Arcturus is then placed on the upper right of the diagram. It is above the line marking 10 solar radii. Its actual radius is 25 times that of the Sun and is nearly 16,000 times larger in terms of volume.