EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Daniel Pearlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Feb 2001 10:44:00 -0500
Pound could be quite apologetic.  In '68 he was so to me, at my
first meeting with him in Sant'Ambrogio, when he said (words very
close to this; I'd have to check my diaries), regarding the Cantos,
"I failed to pay sufficient attention to the Hebraic element in
history."

==DP

At 09:31 AM 02/17/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>In a message dated 2/17/01 9:01:56 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:
>
><< What possible reason would Ginsberg have had to lie about this? Or is this
>just to keep up the constantly chipping paint job on Ezra? >>
>
>I didn't say he lied.  I simply report that Forrest Read didn't believe EP
>said that.  Unfortunately, Read is no longer around to explain his disbelief.
>  If I had to speculate as to why AG would make up this story (if, in fact, he
>did) I would guess that he thought it might put into the great poet's legacy
>a way for younger poets to embrace him whole. I don't know.  From what I
>remember of Read, his Pound would not apologize, such apology being an
>admission of guilt, sort of like a plea bargain.  I think Read thought the
>telling word was  'suburban', as this seemed to reduce the grotesque sickness
>of anti-semitism to a kind of bland snobbery, a reduction neither he (Read)
>nor Pound would accept.  Again, I don't know.
>Jay Anania

HOME:                           OFFICE:
Dan Pearlman                    Department of English
102 Blackstone Blvd. #5 University of Rhode Island
Providence, RI 02906            Kingston, RI 02881
Tel.: 401 453-3027              Tel.: 401 874-4659
Fax: (253) 681-8518             email: [log in to unmask]

Director, Council for the Literature of the Fantastic:
http://www.uri.edu/artsci/english/clf/

My new fiction collection, THE BEST-KNOWN MAN
IN THE WORLD AND OTHER MISFITS, may be previewed at
http://www.aardwolf.bigstep.com/homepage.html