EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Daniel Pearlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 13:41:37 -0400
Jonathan,

People will still argue that Pound meant, by wiping out "Yiddery,"
eliminating a mental attitude, or a group of culpable RICH Jews, or bankers
of any racial/religious background "tainted" with "Yiddery," as opposed to
his favoring genocide.  The point is: Pound did not personally pull any
triggers.  His ravings had no political effect whatsoever.

Racial prejudice of any degree *enables* genocide, true.  Pound's ravings
are simply part of an ideological climate rampant throughout Europe in the
first half of the 20th century that was able to suffocate the voices of reason.

Our concern should be, not to hit POUND over the head, but to learn by his
example how vulnerable we ALL are to being overwhelmed, in moments of
crisis, by the worst voices within us, and to learn that WE MUST ACTIVELY
SQUELCH such voices, as soon as they erupt from the pit, as I and others
like Carrol have done on this list.

Cultures are not created through Reason, but Reason is what shapes them
into Civilizations.

==Dan

At 12:44 PM 05/21/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Dear Poundians:
>
>I feel as if I should apologize for having started this thread--perhaps I
>can make amends for it by bringing us back to Pound's own words and
>encouraging some close reading:
>
>"That is what the the jew is THERE to produce, war and more between goyim/
>UNTIL UNTIL oh UNTIL all the goyim simultaneously wake up to the cause of
>the trouble and determine to wipe out the root cause of the war, namely
>YIDDERY [...] WELLLL In the mean time, die brothers, die, make a Chewisch
>Yom Kippur, or other sort of sheenygogue festival."
>
>This passage is not from Doob's version of the broadcasts, which end in
>1943, but from an undated typescript for a broadcast, probably late in the
>war.  These texts, which may or may not have been broadcast, are much more
>vituperative and clear in their calls for anti-Jewish action.
>
>Jonathan Gill
>Columbia University

Dan Pearlman's home page:
http://pages.zdnet.com/danpearl/danpearlman/

Director, Council for the Literature of the Fantastic:
http://www.uri.edu/artsci/english/clf/

My new fiction collection, THE BEST-KNOWN MAN
IN THE WORLD AND OTHER MISFITS, may be previewed at
http://www.aardwolf.bigstep.com/homepage.html

OFFICE:
Department of English
University of Rhode Island