EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Sarah Graham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 13:41:27 +0100
Richard Caddel wrote:
My question is: who else from the poetry world, apart from BB, was calling
Pound wrong in such unequivocal terms, in 1938?

Well, since you ask...
'I think antisemitism is contemptible and despicable and I will not put my
hand to it. I cannot tell you how it grieves me to see you taking up with
it. It is vicious and mean. I do not for one minute believe that it is
solely the Jews who are responsible for the maintenance of the unjust money
systems. They may have their part in it, but it is just as much, and more,
the work of Anglo-Saxons and celts and goths and what have you. Now I dare
say that will make you mad with me, but there's how it is. Furthermore, in
regard to the Cantos I will not print anything that can be fairly construed
as an outright attack on the Jews and I want that in the contract in the
libel clause. [...] I have at various times let myself slip into
anti-semitic utterances but I'm ashamed of it and renounce them. It was a
childish weakness. Everyone has in them a bit of a desire to hurt people, to
kick the guy who is down. This is something to be squelched in a person's
nature and I hope and intend to do so [...]'
- James Laughlin to Ezra Pound, Dec 5, 1939
(Pound/Laughlin Letters, ed. D. Gordon, pub. by Norton, 1994, pp. 108-9)

Okay, the letter is from 1939, but I think it's pretty unequivocal and I
thought the list might find it interesting alongside the Buntin quote.

Sarah Graham