EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tim Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 08:16:06 -0400
Bob Scheetz,
My motives have been to shed some light in this forum on Pound's ideology
because I think it is necessary to understand his IDEAS if we are to
understand his poetry and his political views. Pound thought so too. The
current context was "racism" and "anti-semiticism". I have been trying to
encourage a balanced use of the source material, letters AND published
writings, when Pound's views on these matters are the topic of discussion.
Thus, my participation in this thread has NOT been

> a exercise
> in emasculation...a smugly superior fastidiousness

Without an understanding of how he makes distinctions, how he draws
comparisons, how are we to perceive the thematic connections Pound was
making between, say, canto XXXII and canto XXXVI?

Between

             'The revolution', said Mr Adams,
               'Took place in the minds of the people.'"
 and
            A lady asks me
                    I speak in season
            She seeks reason for an affect, wild often
            That is so proud he hath Love for a name.

The view of Poetry that you express in the following lines

> ...and it's precisely this pathetic (ie love/hate) perception
> of living identities (namings, substantives, stereotypes..)
>  what enables our poetry.

is unclear (I don't see how "namings" or "stereotypes" can be regarded as
"living")  though I think I get the pulp of what you're saying. I believe
your stated view runs counter to Pound's view of poetry.  If I understand
you correctly, yer sayin' poetry is an emotional affair that is fueled by
raw cognitive conflict: "pathetic (ie love/hate) perception".  Whereas for
Pound, fine poetry makes fine distinctions.
Tim Romano