EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tim Bray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 09:29:36 -0700
At 08:16 AM 10/22/99 -0400, Tim Romano wrote:
>My motives have been to shed some light in this forum on Pound's ideology
>because I think it is necessary to understand his IDEAS if we are to
>understand his poetry and his political views.

I think EP's political and ethnic views are not that hard to understand.
Hard to empathize with, but not hard to penetrate.  I also think they are
wrong, shallow, and uninteresting.  The poetry, on the other hand, is very
hard to understand but both deep and interesting.

There is a secondary issue: how someone so deeply consumed by nasty, trivial,
idiotic views can at the same time be a deep well of pure poetic beauty.

But I don't think you need to invest much time in understanding EP's
muddy confluence of Douglasian Social Credit, Olde European anti-Semitism,
and Fascist corporatism in order to get closer to the poems. -T.