GEOLIBRARY-L Archives

Maine GeoNews

GEOLIBRARY-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Tora Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tora Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Aug 2011 17:33:49 -0400
Hi Everyone!

My apologies if you've gotten this notice multiple times.

We still have room in GIS courses offered at UMaine at Machias
starting on August 29th. Our courses are offered in a hybrid format,
all online with three Saturday sessions in either Machias or Calais
over the course of the semester. We provide free ArcGIS 10 software,
streaming lecture videos you can watch live or at your own
convenience, and we focus on giving you hands-on, practical
instruction you can apply right away in the workplace.

This semester, we're offering GIS I, the introductory course, as well
as Community Applications in GIS. Details about the courses are below,
and both count toward the GIS certificate and degree programs offered
through UMaine at Machias and Washington County Community College.

GIS 1 has no prerequisites, though a working knowledge of PC computing
is a big plus. It is a good stand-alone introduction, though it is the
first course in the GIS sequence. This course is a prerequisite for
most advanced courses, including the Municipal GIS course to be
offered in the spring.

Students enrolling in Community Applications of GIS should have
completed an introductory GIS 1 course or its equivalent (if you're in
the "equivalent" category, drop me a line to get instructor
permission). In this class we'll be working with the Washington County
Council of Governments on a regional sustainability plan, which will
include projects related to a variety of planning goals to suit the
needs of the client and the interests of students. We will be working
with Community Viz software for decision support and scenario
building, as well.

To learn more about our degree and certificate programs, please check
out our website at http://machias.edu/gis-program.html. As always,
drop me a line anytime if you have questions.

Enjoy the end of the summer.

Tora

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tora Johnson
Director/ Instructor
GIS Service Center & Laboratory
Torrey 223
University of Maine at Machias
[log in to unmask] / [log in to unmask]
(207) 255-1214

GIS  230  Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Applications I (4cr)

Understanding the fundamentals of a GIS through lecture, readings and
computer activities.  Students will learn to use a specific GIS
software system and to define and complete a simple GIS project using
existing data.  This computer-intensive course includes a detailed
discussion of what a GIS is, why GIS is being increasingly used today,
sample applications, basic map concepts, how geographic and
descriptive data are stored in the computer, and the steps in a
typical GIS project.  Project discussions will focus on defining
project objectives, building and managing the digital database,
identifying the needed data, locating and acquiring the data in
digital form, performing the analysis, and presenting results.
Prerequisite: knowledge of Windows recommended.

Saturday sessions from 9am to 4:30pm with a break for lunch:

- Session 1 attend either UM Machias- 9/10 or WCCC in Calais- 9/17

- Session 2 attend either UM Machias- 10/22 or WCCC in Calais- 10/29

- Session 3 attend either WCCC in Calais- 12/3 or UM Machias- 12/10

GIS  426   Community Applications in Geographic Information Systems

Students work together under the instructor's guidance for a single
community client to perform a professional-quality service project
using geographic information systems (GIS) as a decision-support and
planning tool.  Projects might include a town's comprehensive plan,
environmental conservation planning, economic development, recreation
planning, emergency response management or similar applications where
GIS can assist communities in setting priorities, making choices or
planning for the future.  Students will be expected to work closely
with clients and/or community residents to assess and respond to their
needs, answer questions and provide them with maps, data and
documentation.  In most cases, students will present their findings to
the clients or their constituents.  Through this work, students learn
to plan, manage, execute and document a multi-faceted GIS project,
skills with direct applications to the workforce.  Prerequisites:  GIS
230 or permission of instructor.

Community Apps Saturday sessions will be on 9/24 and 11/12, both at
UMaine at Machias. Another session will be required at the end of the
semester, but that will be arranged with our clients and among the
students.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tora Johnson
Director/ Instructor
GIS Service Center & Laboratory
Torrey 223
University of Maine at Machias
[log in to unmask] / [log in to unmask]
(207) 255-1214

This list Maine GeoNews (GEOLIBRARY-L) is an unmoderated discussion list for all Maine GIS Users. If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from this list, you can remove your name and email address yourself at the this web address:

http://lists.maine.edu/cgi/wa?SUBED1=geolibrary-l&A=1

Or,you may also request that your name be removed by sending email to: