EPOUND-L Archives

EPOUND-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Michael Springate <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 13:18:19 -0500
Charles:

Stoner can decide for himself how "awful" the broadcasts are and, more to the
point, why they are "awful". And if they depress him, well, they have depressed
many who read Pound...  no less relevant for that.

I think Pound - Emerson link an important locus of debate or consideration.
Both writers, I believe, work within the assumptions of the American
transcendentalist movement which is, more or less, still the dominate ethos of
American literature. (Is that true?)

Interestingly, Pound developed his idealist position in relationship to his own
very strong historical interests. That makes Pound approachable (or attractive)
on two fronts, it allows him to point to a hierarchy of knowledge and
sensibility in which he so profoundly believed (rooting it, finally, at the end
of his life, in "character"), as well as being one of the few poets who
emphatically reminds us that the world exists beyond the sensibilities of the
poet (there are, in Pound's world, historical forces, determining events and
people, and he is willing to name them). This is a potent mix.

A major part of the importance of Pound, in my view, is precisely his attempt,
starting from cultural assumptions not much different than Emerson (is that
true?), to openly "come to terms" with historical forces.  Pound, I believe,
felt he was offering a more enduring history than that possible within a
materialist (read Marxist) framework. Hence, the Cantos.

People who like history, the epic impulse, and have a hard time imagining a
serious literature without it, yet are convinced of the inherent worth and
enduring value of certain "qualities of thought", usually can find a way to
appreciate Pound, including the Cantos. At least, they understand the
challenge.

Those to whom sensibility is everything (and history not much more than an
intellectually constructed nuisance), can usually appreciate Pound's
translations and early poetry, but frequently claim the Cantos to be
unintelligible (and hence, a poetic failure). It is frustrating, at times, to
discuss Pound with people of this ilk, as they always want one to point out
"the good parts" in the Cantos, missing the essential challenge of the piece as
a whole. However, if one chooses to indulge, there are "good parts" to quote,
and Pound's lyric voice does find register in the Cantos.

Those who really do spend time studying history, and are somewhat less
concerned with a permanent structure of idealist virtues or its lyric
expression, find Pound's take on history periodically insightful but, over all,
fatiguing (at best) or criminally negligent/ignorant (at worst).  And they need
only point to the broadcasts to establish Pound's essential mis-reading of much
in his time.

I think it true that Pound's associative process (the ideogrammatic method),
which allowed such force and freshness in his writing (as it did, too, for the
surrealists), also seriously undermined his approach to the epic challenge he
set himself. One may wish (that is to say, I wish) that Pound's confrontation
with Europe in the twentieth century would have led either to a more
fundamental break with his roots in idealism or, inversely, shown up those
roots to have been a more potent force in developing an historical
consciousness.

I am sorry that I am generalizing so broadly, but nonetheless...

Michael