UC_BATHBRUN Archives

Univ College Bath-Brunswick Students

UC_BATHBRUN@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Dennis Unger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dennis Unger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2013 15:13:45 -0500
Newsletter 1/25/13 | Bath / Brunswick

Having trouble viewing this email? Click
here.<http://learn.maine.edu/bath/newsletter/>

[image: University College] <http://learn.maine.edu/>

*Bath / Brunswick <http://learn.maine.edu/bath>***

*Newsletter 1/25/13*

*Click here to view in a web browser<http://learn.maine.edu/bath/newsletter/>
*

*Renew now!*

File or renew your 2013-14 *FAFSA* <http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/> now! For
assistance, attend an
*MEOC*<http://learn.maine.edu/bath/get-started/financial-aid/essentials-of-college-planning-workshops/>workshop
or a
*Welcome Back College*<http://www.welcomebackcollege.com/2012/12/free-financial-aid-workshops-for-adults.html>workshop.
Please file
*before 2/15* to meet the priority deadline! Don’t wait until you file a
tax return! Estimate the numbers and file now. Once you have filed your tax
return, correct any FAFSA data, as needed.

*Get free tax prep!*

If you earned under $51,000 last year, you can find out if you qualify for
the Earned Income Tax Credit and get your taxes prepared for free through
the *Midcoast Creating Assets, Savings & Hope (CA$H)
Coalition<http://www.cashmaine.org/locations/midcoast/get-started/get>
*. Call *319-1390* to make an appointment. Tax prep locations include UC
Bath/Brunswick.

*Apply for scholarships*

The *UMA General
Scholarships<http://www.uma.edu/assets/docs/finaid/Financial_Aid_2013/General_Scholarship_Application.pdf>
* application deadline is *3/18*. The *AAUW
Scholarship<http://learn.maine.edu/bath/files/2013/01/AAUWscholarshipappl2013.pdf>
* and *Paul Hanley Memorial
Scholarship<http://learn.maine.edu/bath/files/2013/01/paulhanleymemorialscholarshipappfall13.pdf>
* application deadline is *3/29*. Generate other scholarship leads by using
the FAME *scholarship
search*<http://www.famemaine.com/files/StaticPages/Education/Scholarship_Search.aspx>
.

*Find Your Place in Today’s Job Market*

Register now for a no-cost *Career
Planning<http://womenworkandcommunity.org/schedules/career-planning-find-your-place-in-todays-11/>
* class. This Tuesday and Thursday class meets from 9 am to noon starting *1/29
through 2/12*. Participants will review skills, interests, and experiences
and relate them to occupations, identify educational opportunities,
research the local job market, and develop a step-by-step plan to achieve
goals. This *Women, Work and Community* sponsored class meets at University
College. If you are interested please contact *Shelley
Taylor*<[log in to unmask]>at 386-1664.

*Enjoy an “Unexpected Thaw”!*

The center lobby has been transformed with a warm and vibrant art
show, *“Unexpected
Thaw”* <http://learn.maine.edu/bath/2013/01/03/enjoy-unexpected-thaw/>organized
by our valued community partner,
*Spindleworks <http://www.spindleworks.org/>* through *2/28*.

*Read Aloud*

Celebrate Dr. Suess’ birthday on *3/1* by participating in the *Community
Read Aloud*. This is a wonderful opportunity to volunteer as a reader in a
local elementary classroom, pre-school or childcare center. Please
*register<https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CommunityReadAloud>
* by *2/1*. FMI: 443-9752 or *[log in to unmask]*.

*Build community*

Attend the next meeting of the *Student
Association*<http://learn.maine.edu/bath/about-us/student-association/>on
*2/12* at noon in Room 105. All students are invoted and welcome to attend.
FMI: *Lisa Whitney* <[log in to unmask]>.

*Indulge*

Indulge your appetite for coffee and donuts on *Valentine’s Day* (*2/14*),
served with love, courtesy of our Student Association.

*Access the center*

UCBB *Business Office hours* this semester are 8 am to 4 pm. *Building hours
* are: Mondays, 8 am to 9:45 pm; Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, 7:15
am to 9:45 pm; Fridays, 8 am – 6:45 pm.

*Volunteer and earn a tuition waiver*

We are recruiting volunteers to join our student office staff for the
spring semester. We are especially seeking volunteers to staff evening
hours. Volunteers are eligible to a earn a UMA tuition waiver. FMI or to
apply contact *Arlene Smith* <[log in to unmask]>.

*Strengthen your writing!*

Need help creating a thesis, citing a source, or punctuating a sentence?
The *UMA Writing Center* <http://www.uma.edu/writingtutor.html> offers
these and other tutoring services to distance learners at UC by phone,
email, and videochat. Work from UCBB or from home. Call (207) 621-3199 to
access tutors Monday – Thursday, 9-4. Email
*[log in to unmask]*<[log in to unmask]>with an attached
essay for feedback within 48 hours. Join a Google Hangout
session with Writing Center Coordinator Michelle Lisi, available by
appointment every Friday this semester. Not sure which method will work
best for you? Get in touch, and we’ll set something up!

*Meet-up with a tutor*

Set yourself up for a successful semester by arranging to meet with a *Writing,
Computer, Biology, or Mathematics
Tutor*<http://learn.maine.edu/bath/center-services/academic-support/#tutoring>.
Tutoring is offered at no cost to current students.

*Like us!*

Stay connected to your classmates and to breaking news, events and fun by
liking us on* Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bath-ME/University-College-at-BathBrunswick/95070528555?ref=s>
*.

[image:
http://learn.maine.edu/bath/wp-content/themes/uc-main/images/newsletter/shadow.gif]

Latest News & Events

*Prepare for winter
weather!<http://learn.maine.edu/bath/2013/01/20/prepare-winter-weather/>
***

Storm cancellation information is available at 442-7736 or 1-800-696-2329.
Select voice mailbox #8.
More<http://learn.maine.edu/bath/2013/01/20/prepare-winter-weather/>

*Apply for scholarships<http://learn.maine.edu/bath/2013/01/18/apply-scholarships/>
***

In addition to completing the FAFSA by 2/15/13, consider applying for a
scholarship. More<http://learn.maine.edu/bath/2013/01/18/apply-scholarships/>

*Collaborate! <http://learn.maine.edu/bath/2012/11/12/collaborate/>***

Students can self-schedule study groups, joint projects and other student
initiated meetings in our newly outfitted student collaboration
spaces. More<http://learn.maine.edu/bath/2012/11/12/collaborate/>

*Checkout our YouTube
channel!<http://learn.maine.edu/bath/2012/11/12/checkout-youtube-channel/>
***

Hear from University College students and faculty. Checkout our YouTube
channel! More<http://learn.maine.edu/bath/2012/11/12/checkout-youtube-channel/>

*Earn Secondary
Certification<http://learn.maine.edu/bath/2012/08/07/earn-secondary-certification/>
***

Students who wish to teach high school can now earn their credentials
through University College at Bath/Brunswick.
More<http://learn.maine.edu/bath/2012/08/07/earn-secondary-certification/>

© University College. All rights reserved.
9 Park Street | Bath, ME 04530
(207) 442-7736 or 1-800-696-2329 (in state) | Fax: (207) 442-7737