Newsletter 1/25/13 | Bath / Brunswick

Having trouble viewing this email? Click here.

University College

Bath / Brunswick

Newsletter 1/25/13

Click here to view in a web browser

Renew now!

File or renew your 2013-14 FAFSA now! For assistance, attend an MEOC workshop or a Welcome Back College workshop. Please file before 2/15 to meet the priority deadline! Don’t wait until you file a tax return! Estimate the numbers and file now. Once you have filed your tax return, correct any FAFSA data, as needed.

Get free tax prep!

If you earned under $51,000 last year, you can find out if you qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit and get your taxes prepared for free through the Midcoast Creating Assets, Savings & Hope (CA$H) Coalition. Call 319-1390 to make an appointment. Tax prep locations include UC Bath/Brunswick.

Apply for scholarships

The UMA General Scholarships application deadline is 3/18. The AAUW Scholarship and Paul Hanley Memorial Scholarship application deadline is 3/29. Generate other scholarship leads by using the FAME scholarship search.

Find Your Place in Today’s Job Market

Register now for a no-cost Career Planning class. This Tuesday and Thursday class meets from 9 am to noon starting 1/29 through 2/12. Participants will review skills, interests, and experiences and relate them to occupations, identify educational opportunities, research the local job market, and develop a step-by-step plan to achieve goals. This Women, Work and Community sponsored class meets at University College. If you are interested please contact Shelley Taylor at 386-1664.

Enjoy an “Unexpected Thaw”!

The center lobby has been transformed with a warm and vibrant art show, “Unexpected Thaw” organized by our valued community partner, Spindleworks through 2/28.

Read Aloud

Celebrate Dr. Suess’ birthday on 3/1 by participating in the Community Read Aloud. This is a wonderful opportunity to volunteer as a reader in a local elementary classroom, pre-school or childcare center. Please register by 2/1. FMI: 443-9752 or [log in to unmask].

Build community

Attend the next meeting of the Student Association on 2/12 at noon in Room 105. All students are invoted and welcome to attend. FMI: Lisa Whitney.

Indulge

Indulge your appetite for coffee and donuts on Valentine’s Day (2/14), served with love, courtesy of our Student Association.

Access the center

UCBB Business Office hours this semester are 8 am to 4 pm. Building hours are: Mondays, 8 am to 9:45 pm; Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, 7:15 am to 9:45 pm; Fridays, 8 am – 6:45 pm.

Volunteer and earn a tuition waiver

We are recruiting volunteers to join our student office staff for the spring semester. We are especially seeking volunteers to staff evening hours. Volunteers are eligible to a earn a UMA tuition waiver. FMI or to apply contact Arlene Smith.

Strengthen your writing!

Need help creating a thesis, citing a source, or punctuating a sentence? The UMA Writing Center offers these and other tutoring services to distance learners at UC by phone, email, and videochat. Work from UCBB or from home. Call (207) 621-3199 to access tutors Monday – Thursday, 9-4. Email [log in to unmask] with an attached essay for feedback within 48 hours. Join a Google Hangout session with Writing Center Coordinator Michelle Lisi, available by appointment every Friday this semester. Not sure which method will work best for you? Get in touch, and we’ll set something up!

Meet-up with a tutor

Set yourself up for a successful semester by arranging to meet with a MailScanner has detected a possible fraud attempt from "learn.maine.edu" claiming to be Writing, Computer, Biology, or Mathematics Tutor. Tutoring is offered at no cost to current students.

Like us!

Stay connected to your classmates and to breaking news, events and fun by liking us on Facebook.

http://learn.maine.edu/bath/wp-content/themes/uc-main/images/newsletter/shadow.gif

Latest News & Events

Prepare for winter weather!

Storm cancellation information is available at 442-7736 or 1-800-696-2329. Select voice mailbox #8. More

Apply for scholarships

In addition to completing the FAFSA by 2/15/13, consider applying for a scholarship. More

Collaborate!

Students can self-schedule study groups, joint projects and other student initiated meetings in our newly outfitted student collaboration spaces. More

Checkout our YouTube channel!

Hear from University College students and faculty. Checkout our YouTube channel! More

Earn Secondary Certification

Students who wish to teach high school can now earn their credentials through University College at Bath/Brunswick. More

© University College. All rights reserved.
9 Park Street | Bath, ME 04530
(207) 442-7736 or 1-800-696-2329 (in state) | Fax: (207) 442-7737