MEEOA-L Archives

MEEOA-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Mary Sinclair <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Sep 2020 15:54:46 -0400
Hello Maine Colleagues,

With the new semester in this new world underway, I bring you greetings and
updates on behalf of the MEEOA Executive Committee of 2020-21. This has
been an eventful summer, especially with the announcement of the SSS grant
funding. Congratulations to the programs funded! We rejoice with you, and
yet we also mourn the loss of a long-standing program in Maine. Steve Visco
pointed out that SSS directors and programs are being asked to do more on
campuses than ever before. Our UB programs stood on their heads and offered
virtual summer programs across the state. MOEC began their HOPE program in
the middle of the pandemic, and are doing twice as much now as ever before.
Everyone is looking at the best way to reach the students we serve either
remotely or in person during a time when we have to get creative and  meet
the students wherever they are. Our support is with all of our colleagues
and friends, on every side of the emotional roller coaster!

As we mentioned a few months ago, the MEEOA Annual Conference will look
very different in 2021. We are still planning on a virtual conference, and
we wanted to give you the updates we have so far.

   - The dates will be January 6-8 during the afternoons. Each day we will
   have one big session together either for a keynote or meeting, breakout
   sessions, and a social offering. Since we are moving into the virtual
   format, we are also thinking of offering a few breakout sessions for
   current college students.
   - The leadership for the conference has changed a bit: the Co-Chairs are
   now Sam Prosser (also President-Elect) and Linda Freeman. Katharine Lualdi
   asked to take a more supportive role, so Sam agreed to take over those
   duties. They are diligently working on the planning!
   - Registration fees will change slightly. We anticipate different costs
   for the conference than we have had in the past, so we are changing our fee
   structure slightly. This year, it will be$125 for MEEOA members and $165
   for non-members, with no early bird incentive or late registration penalty.
   For college students who chose to attend, the cost will be $10 with a paid
   program membership.
   - Information about alumni awards will come soon. Now is a great time to
   be thinking about outstanding alumni from your programs who we can
   recognize!

Speaking of membership,* you can now renew your MEEOA membership, *AND, new
this year, you can pay with PayPal! Head to the MEEOA website and you can
check it out now <https://www.meeoa.org/membership.php?id=4>. Directors,
please consider membership for each of your programs. Individual and
program memberships truly help support the mission of MEEOA.

COE has sent some emails recently about reaching out to our congressional
delegation. If you are doing so, we would love to know! Eric Pratt is our
Government Relations Chair for MEEOA and has already started building
relationships with each of the offices, so he can be a great resource to
help you. It's also helpful for Eric to know who is being contacted so he
has a handle on who is receiving information about our programs and who
could use a little more attention.

Remember to follow MEEOA on Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/maineeducationalopportunityassociation/?__tn__=%2Cd%2CP-R&eid=ARBI6Ofvk9OySDDU5rGL4VdkM-5MavjIo3IQuP28LVoTzp6z27f-Fqx5aXzFkyeecB8nXciJ6lfBglhE>
and Instagram <https://www.instagram.com/meeoa20/?hl=en>, and let Tony
Staffiere know when you have newsworthy information to share from your
program!

I am looking forward to serving as the MEEOA President this year. If you
would like to serve in some capacity or would like to make some changes,
please let me know! We currently have a vacancy in the *Alumni Chair*
position, and we could always use help in other ways. Ginny Ward is
thinking up how to offer a *leadership development* opportunity, and we are
excited to invite people to join us for that. We want to make sure our
*policies
and positions are inclusive* and welcoming, so we will be looking to take
action and be proactive. If you would like to help with redesigning the *MEEOA
logo and branding*, or would like more information about anything else
mentioned, I would love to hear from you! Attached you will find a list of
the current MEEOA Executive Committee members, so feel free to reach out.

Take care,
Mary

*Old Logo: *
[image: MEEOA logo.jpg]

*Mary Sinclair*
Student Services Coordinator, Upward Bound
<http://www2.umf.maine.edu/upwardbound/>
University of Maine at Farmington
252 Main Street, Farmington, ME 04938
207.778.7429 (w) 207.712.2930 (c)
Toll Free: 1.888.237.1667
pronouns: she/her

*President Elect, Maine Educational Opportunity Association*