Hello Maine Colleagues,

With the new semester in this new world underway, I bring you greetings and updates on behalf of the MEEOA Executive Committee of 2020-21. This has been an eventful summer, especially with the announcement of the SSS grant funding. Congratulations to the programs funded! We rejoice with you, and yet we also mourn the loss of a long-standing program in Maine. Steve Visco pointed out that SSS directors and programs are being asked to do more on campuses than ever before. Our UB programs stood on their heads and offered virtual summer programs across the state. MOEC began their HOPE program in the middle of the pandemic, and are doing twice as much now as ever before. Everyone is looking at the best way to reach the students we serve either remotely or in person during a time when we have to get creative and  meet the students wherever they are. Our support is with all of our colleagues and friends, on every side of the emotional roller coaster!

As we mentioned a few months ago, the MEEOA Annual Conference will look very different in 2021. We are still planning on a virtual conference, and we wanted to give you the updates we have so far.
Speaking of membership, you can now renew your MEEOA membership, AND, new this year, you can pay with PayPal! Head to the MEEOA website and you can check it out now. Directors, please consider membership for each of your programs. Individual and program memberships truly help support the mission of MEEOA.

COE has sent some emails recently about reaching out to our congressional delegation. If you are doing so, we would love to know! Eric Pratt is our Government Relations Chair for MEEOA and has already started building relationships with each of the offices, so he can be a great resource to help you. It's also helpful for Eric to know who is being contacted so he has a handle on who is receiving information about our programs and who could use a little more attention.

Remember to follow MEEOA on Facebook and Instagram, and let Tony Staffiere know when you have newsworthy information to share from your program!

I am looking forward to serving as the MEEOA President this year. If you would like to serve in some capacity or would like to make some changes, please let me know! We currently have a vacancy in the Alumni Chair position, and we could always use help in other ways. Ginny Ward is thinking up how to offer a leadership development opportunity, and we are excited to invite people to join us for that. We want to make sure our policies and positions are inclusive and welcoming, so we will be looking to take action and be proactive. If you would like to help with redesigning the MEEOA logo and branding, or would like more information about anything else mentioned, I would love to hear from you! Attached you will find a list of the current MEEOA Executive Committee members, so feel free to reach out.

Take care,
Mary

Old Logo:
MEEOA logo.jpg

Mary Sinclair
Student Services Coordinator, Upward Bound
University of Maine at Farmington
252 Main Street, Farmington, ME 04938
207.778.7429 (w) 207.712.2930 (c)
Toll Free: 1.888.237.1667
pronouns: she/her

President Elect, Maine Educational Opportunity Association