ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 12:36:18 -0500
My problem with the late-game call was not the validity of the call but with
the timing. I feel the officiating crew set the tone throughout the first
and second period. By the start of the third period the players, coaches,
fans and even the officials had a basic understanding as to what would be
called and what would not. However, in the late minutes of the third period
Piotrowski began making calls that were not made in the first two periods.
How can you set the expectation and then change the rules? That is, in my
opinion, what Piotrowski did. He allowed the boys to play full tilt for 50
minutes and then started making calls. Were they infractions? In my opinion,
yes they were. However, they were also penalties in the first and second
periods but they weren't called.

My complaint is not with the interpretation of whether there were penalties
or not but the lack of consistency in making the calls over the course of
the entire game.

We can't go back and play the last 10 minutes over again so this is a moot
point. However, it is a concern that will, I'm sure, come up again next
season. Either apply the rules for a full 60 minutes or not, that's the
officials decision, but do it consistently throughout the entire 60 minutes.