ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 11:54:45 EST
>Why is it there a sentiment in hockey that an infraction that exists in the
>first two periods should magically disappear in the third or overtime,...

   That's an interesting subject area, but I agree with Alexis that this
   was not the type of event that was penalized earlier in the game.

In addition, one might expect it to be an action not penalized in any
late-season tournament game (player safety not an issue in this case).

That said, in viewing the tape, I couldn't find the slip that DaveW
referred to.  What appeared clear, though, was the Maine defender being
nearly stationary with the puck carrier about to blow by him.  Maybe it
was a call with some merit.

I've witnessed Piotrowski do several games and have thought he's been a
top referee for many years.  So who are we to complain?

Hopefully everyone realizes that after the penalty was called, Shawn
"created" his penalties "for effect".  Too bad he did it "for effect"
and then called it inconsequential.  But perhaps I'm taking his
"inconsequential" comments out of context?

Shawn certainly gave us news that left those actions inconsequential.
Our hero certainly deserves a break ...  may it happen in the next few
hours and weeks.

Best regards, wayne

Wayne T. Smith
[log in to unmask]                          Old Town Landing
The College Hockey lists: Hockey-L and Hockey3 at http://lists.Maine.edu/