From:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 1997 12:35:22 -0400
The figures I have seen for women's ice hockey scholarships are:
UNH  11
NU    5
PC    2 1/2

starting this year:
Minnesota  3-4

others thinking about it:
St. Lawrence  2-3 going for 18 maybe in the future
Maine         2-4 going for 18 maybe in the future (becoming a full
varsity program this fall - probably)
Niagara       club this year, varsity next year, adding scholarships
gradually.

The women do fall under the same rules and can only have 18 scholarships
and 34 games per season.

There are a number of women's ice hockey teams who have men's counterparts
in Division I leagues, with 18 scholarships, that in fact are very low
level varsity programs.  It's nice talking about having scholarships, but
for many women just have a full varsity program, where one can get the
ice, travel money, recruiting money ... would be a huge step.  There have
been many promises made to various coaches and teams, but unfortunately
many women's teams don't get anything near what the men get.  I find it
amazing that more Title IX law suits have not happened, not because I want
lawyers involved, but because some situations are so unfair.

/
 good shooting
 hungerf