From:
"Ralph N. Baer" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ralph N. Baer
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 1997 12:06:02 EDT
I've been meaning to mention this ever since I received my copy of The
College Hockey Guide a few weeks ago.  The current discussion of Title
IX makes this relevant.  According to the Guide there are currently a
grand total of ten (yes, 10) athletic scholarships being awarded for
Women's Ice Hockey.  These are as follows: Northeastern 4, New
Hampshire 3, and Providence 3.  This is in contrast to about 35 schools
that each give 18 scholarships as well as a few Div-II teams (e.g.,
Alabama-Huntsville), that give lesser amounts.  (You know, there is a
lot of interesting data in the College Hockey Guide.  Too bad it came
out so late.)

I found these numbers surprising as I would think that these schools, as
well as others, would need to also give about 18 women's scholarships.
BC and starting in the fall SLU are the only others that I can think of
that gives men's scholarships and have major women's teams.

Does anyone know if these women's figures are correct?  I am curious, is
women's ice-hockey subject to the same limit of 18 as men's hockey?  If
there is a lower limit as the above figures may indicate, how can the
schools hope to keep things in apparent balance?

Ralph Baer
RPI '68, '70, '74

Ralph N. Baer
Naval Research Laboratory     Code 7142     Washington, DC 20375-5350
Ph: (202) 767-3173         FAX: (202) 404-7732