From:
Craig Powers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 0100 15:55:54 GMT
Joe LaCour spake thusly:
> Just for discussion purposes, USA Hockey & the NCAA leave it up to the ref.
> Canada says a Xcheck above the shoulder = 5 + game.  I like the Canadian
> idea better.  Sticks should remain on the ice where the puck is (most of the
> time).

Are you sure?  When this first came up, I did a little research, and held off
on posting the results.  From the USA Hockey online rulebook:

  Rule 608. Cross-Checking or Butt-Ending

  Click here for Situations Manual examples

  (a) A minor or a major penalty shall be imposed on
  a player who "cross-checks" an opponent.

  (Note) "Cross-check" shall mean a check
  delivered with both hands on the stick and no part
  of the stick on the ice.

  (b) A major plus a game misconduct penalty shall
  be imposed on any player who injures an opponent
  by "cross-checking".

  (c) A major plus a game misconduct penalty shall
  be imposed on any player who "butt-ends" or
  attempts to "butt-end" an opponent.

  (Note) Attempt to "butt-end" shall include all cases
  where a "butt-end" gesture is made regardless
  whether body contact is made or not.

  (d) For Juniors only -- a major plus game ejection
  penalty option also applies under subsection (b) of
  this rule.

  For Juniors only -- a double minor plus game
  ejection penalty option also applies under
  subsection (c) of this rule.

Subsection (b) looks pretty straightforward to me.  I also examined the
comparison table between high school, USA hockey, and NCAA rulebooks at the
NIHOA website (unfortunately, the NCAA rulebook is not available online,
probably a $$$ and copyright issue).  There are no differences mentioned for
the crosscheck rule, so I would guess that the NCAA uses the same language,
though I'm sure there could be an
oversight.