From:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2022 22:59:54 -0600
Centers used to get removed from a faceoff for a faceoff violation by
their team, and a second violation on the same faceoff was a minor
penalty. The NCAA (and NHL and other higher-level leagues) now use a
warning, then a penalty.

> 81.3 Procedure - All players shall take their proper positions
> immediately when
> directed by the official.
> On all faceoffs, players must take a stationary position in the
> vicinity of
> the faceoff before the puck is dropped. This should be treated as a
> faceoff
> violation. The intent of this rule is to negate any advantage a team gains
> by putting players in motion before the faceoff.
> *PENALTIES—For the initial violation, the official shall issue a warning**
> **to the offending team and no substitution of the center shall**
> **occur. Second faceoff violation by the same team during the**
> **same faceoff shall be penalized with a bench minor penalty**
> **to the offending team for delay of game (see Rule 17.1).*
> Note: The center is not removed on the initial violation. No substitution
> of players is allowed after a false faceoff until the faceoff has been
> properly
> executed, exc

In youth hockey and high school hockey, centers are [still] removed for
the first violation.

   --david