GEOLIBRARY-L Archives

Maine GeoNews

GEOLIBRARY-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
Maine GeoLibrary <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Daniel H Walters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 2008 08:58:59 -0400
At the last Board meeting we discussed publishing case studies and other
documents to give to legislators and other decision-makers to help make
the case for ongoing support and sustainable funding for GIS.  The
following is an example of a very timely promotion from the National
States Geographic Information Council (NSGIC).

http://www.nsgic.org/hottopics/postcard_energy.pdf
http://www.nsgic.org/hottopics/marketing_materials.cfm

NSGIC is working on new material that we may be able to leverage.

Something like this could be easily modeled to show how GIS is being used
for site selection and site planning in Maine.  GIS is also being used to
facilitate activities related to other Maine renewable energy resources
(e.g., forest management).

Best regards,

Dan

Dan Walters
Geospatial Liaison for Maine
Eastern Region NSDI Partnership Office
National Geospatial Programs Office
http://www.usgs.gov/ngpo/

USGS Maine Water Science Center
196 Whitten Road
Augusta, Maine 04330
207-622-8201 X 128
207-776-1293 cell

"Smith, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Maine GeoLibrary <[log in to unmask]>
07/10/2008 10:12 AM
Please respond to
Maine GeoLibrary <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
Re: Board membership

I'd prefer to keep it a simple majority, just because I think it's
important that members participate and the Board needs to have control
over seats that are not filled.

Surely if a member had cancer or was out on maternity, or recovering from
a car accident, the Board could be sympathetic and not vote.  A vote is
not required in the legislation - it just gives the Board the opportunity
if needed.  Or even if a motion was made and a vote taken, the majority of
members could still vote it down.

On the issue of notice, yes that is a good point and I added some language
to provide before-the-fact notice as well as after-the-fact notice.  See
attached.
Michael Smith
State GIS Manager
Maine Office of GIS