DAILY-ASTRONOMER Archives

Daily doses of information related to astronomy, including physics,

DAILY-ASTRONOMER@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Edward Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Aug 2016 17:26:06 -0400
*SOUTHWORTH PLANETARIUM*
*DAY COURSES*
*2016 AUTUMN SCHEDULE*
*To register and/or to ask questions, please e-mail*
*or call 207-780-4249*

*We are looking forward to an exciting new school year!*

*MIDDLE SCHOOL ASTRONOMY*Wednesdays10:30 a.m. - noon
September 7 - October 26
Enrollment fee:  $75.00

 [image: horsehead nebula]

A course that makes good use of the star dome theatre.  Topics include
lunar phases, constellation mythology, planisphere usage, planet motions,
explanation of the seasons, meteor showers, aurora, star location,
galaxies, and more.  Each student also "adopts" a star and will learn about
its different aspects.

*HIGH SCHOOL ASTRONOMY/WITH LAB*
Tuesdays
10:00 a.m. - noon
September 6 - November 15
Enrollment fee:   $85.00

[image: Whirlpool Galaxy]

This course involves the star dome theatre and includes lab sessions with
solar scopes and celestial spheres.

Topics include:

Solar astronomyUsing planispheres/reading star charts
Seasons
Constellations/equatorial coordinate system
Stellar astronomy/fusion and nucleosynthesis
Galactic astronomy
Basic cosmology/Big Bang
Planetary motions/synodic periods

*PHYSICS/WITH LAB*Mondays  10:00 a.m. - noon
September 12 - November 14, 2016
Enrollment fee:  $85.00
[image: physics]
A rigorous physics course which, however, still begins at the
foundations.
Vectors, motions in one and two dimensions, falling body problems,
projectile motion, forces, work, impulse, momentum, gravity,
thermodynamics.   We also discuss concepts in relativity and quantum
physics.

Each student is given a "Universe," which is a bound notebook of blank
paper.  Their Universe will contain anything they want to include about the
physics concepts we'll be discussing, including diagrams, stores, solved
problems or any other additions.   As we know, the science of physics
involves the art of creative thinking.

This course includes lab sessions, as well, with inclined planes and other
mechanical devices.

*CELESTIAL MYTHOLOGY*Wednesdays
November  9, 16, 30 and December 7
10:30 a.m. - noon
For middle and high schoolers
-  [image: Valhall]A fun class for all ages.  We spend an hour and a half
in the dome telling star stories.  Over the course of four weeks, we cover
all four seasons and fifty constellations altogether.This course is
conducted entirely in the star dome