DAILY-ASTRONOMER Archives

Daily doses of information related to astronomy, including physics,

DAILY-ASTRONOMER@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Edward Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 2019 14:34:44 -0400
THE USM SOUTHWORTH PLANETARIUM
207-780-4249     www.usm.maine.edu/planet
70 Falmouth Street     Portland, Maine  04103
43.6667° N                   70.2667° W
Altitude:   10 feet below sea level
Founded January 1970
Julian date:  24586327.5
              "The absolute worst place to visit during a North Atlantic
Tsunami."

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Monday, June 3, 2019
June 2019 Night Sky Calendar   Part I

You understand that we switched from a weekly to a monthly sky calendar
because the former were so brief that a few subscribers thought the monthly
versions would be better.   We agreed and so the monthly sky calendars
returned.  However, sometimes, we feel it necessary to divide the monthly
sky calendars in half due to length. Ha ha!   This month, we'll be doing
exactly that as we're going to devote an inordinate amount of time to this
month's summer solstice.  (Here, the summer solstice is more of a
theoretical event that merely makes us wistful while we watch the
disgruntled bullfinches flailing around in the snow shrouds.)

MONDAY, JUNE 3:  NEW MOON
Unless we experience a total solar eclipse (1771 days until the April 8,
2024 total eclipse),  we won't actually see a moon when it is new, or at
conjunction.  Despite its invisibility, the new moon remains quite
important as it marks the commencement of a new lunation cycle.  This new
moon marks the beginning of lunation cycle 1193.

TUESDAY, JUNE 4:  MOON NEAR MERCURY
We have to be quite careful when reporting these planet-moon appulses.
Quite often, we'll cite an specific degree measurement.   The problem with
such angle inclusions is that the cited angle refers to the minimum
separation that lasts briefly.    It is preferable to merely mention that
Mercury and moon will appear close together this evening.   As the moon
will be about 1% illuminated, it will be exceedingly difficult to observe.
Mercury will be difficult to see, as well.

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 5:  MOON NEAR MARS
Mars and the moon will be brighter and easier to see than Mercury and the
moon were yesterday.   Tonight, one will observe the slightly thicker
crescent moon (6% illuminated) close to the red planet Mars in the western
evening sky.

FRIDAY, JUNE 7:  MOON NEAR BEEHIVE STAR CLUSTER
[image: m44-praesepe-beehive-cluster.jpg]
The image above, compliments of Kansas State University, is of the Beehive
Star Cluster.     When observed with the unaided eye, this beguilingly
beautiful galactic star cluster resembles a smudge of white light.
Tonight, the waxing crescent moon will appear to maneuver close to it.
 As the moon will be a crescent (22% illuminated), it won't obscure the
cluster entirely.

MONDAY, JUNE 10:  FIRST QUARTER MOON

MONDAY, JUNE 10:  JUPITER AT OPPOSITION  (SILVER EVENT!!)
That "bright star" currently visible in the eastern early evening sky is
actually the mammoth planet Jupiter.     Jupiter is at opposition tonight,
meaning that Earth is moving between it and the Sun.  Jupiter will
therefore rise around sunset and will be visible throughout the night.   At
magnitude-2.6, Jupiter is at its maximum brightness for the year and
appears almost three times brighter than Sirius.  (Note: Sirius is not
currently visible due to its close apparent proximity to the Sun.)

*HEY!  DID YOU KNOW?*Pluto is moving toward aphelion, its farthest point
from the
Sun.  This small PLANET started moving toward aphelion
on September 5, 1989. It will reach its point of greatest heliocentric
distance  on Feb 19, 2114.

SATURDAY, JUNE 16:  MOON NEAR JUPITER (BRONZE EVENT!)
Although the moon will appear full (99% illuminated), it won't be bright
enough to wash out Jupiter.    Tonight, one will observe the biggest planet
"close" to the nearly full moon.      This closeness is illusory, as
Jupiter will be about 398 million miles from Earth today, as opposed to the
moon's comparatively close distance of 239,000 miles.