DAILY-ASTRONOMER Archives

Daily doses of information related to astronomy, including physics,

DAILY-ASTRONOMER@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Edward Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jul 2019 16:00:00 -0400
THE USM SOUTHWORTH PLANETARIUM
207-780-4249     www.usm.maine.edu/planet
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.usm.maine.edu%2Fplanet&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHulkHuLP13bOG2PkNrPazsGWFs2A>
70 Falmouth Street     Portland, Maine  04103
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/70+Falmouth+Street%C2%A0+%C2%A0+%C2%A0Portland,+Maine%C2%A0+04103?entry=gmail&source=g>
43.6667° N                   70.2667° W
Altitude:   10 feet below sea level
Founded January 1970
Julian date:  2458676.5
                  "Portland's Space Place."

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Friday, July 12, 2019
Quiz XXV:   Canada!

_______________________
Dedicated to my beloved Susan,
who was born and raised in Canada.
Susan, my best friend in the world,
if you fail this quiz, you'll never hear the end of
it.
____________________________

[image: 5104226627001_5230047963001_5203640497001-vs.jpg]
While we here in the good ol' US of A have been celebrating our
independence from the UK and the decisive victory of the USA Women in the
World Cup, we have completely neglected Canada: the snow-enshrouded
semi-continent just to our north!    Since July 1st was Canada Day, we
thought it appropriate to devote  a quiz to the Great White North!

1.  What is Canada's most populated city?
a.  Toronto
b.  Montreal
c.  Vancouver
d.  Yellow Knife

2.  The Canadian national flag depicts a maple leaf.  How many points are
featured along the leaf's edge?
a.  8
b.  9
c.  11
d. 12

3.  Canada has two national sports.  One, of course, is Hockey.  What is
the other?
a.  Hockey puck dodging
b.  LaCrosse
c.  Football (Soccer to us)
d.  Skiing

4.  What is Canada's oldest city?
a.  Montreal
b.  Halifax
c.  St Johns, Newfoundland
d.  Saint John, New Brunswick

5.  Canada has how many time zones?
a.  4
b.  6
c.  7
d.  8

6..  What is Canada's highest mountain?
a.   Mount Sasquatch
b.  Mount Logan
c.   Mount LaPierre
d.   Mount Verde

7. What percent of the world's maple syrup supply comes from Canada?
a.  65%
b.  75%
c.  80%
d.   only 11%

8.  Which of the following celebrities is NOT from Canada?
a.  William Shatner
b.  Dan Ackroyd
c.  Mike Myers
d. Alex Trebek
e. Actually, they are all from Canada
f. Actually, none of them are from Canada

9.  Canada is composed of three territories and how many provinces?
a. 10
b. 11
c.  12
d.  13

10.  "Canada" is derived from a Saint-Lawrence Iroquoian word  meaning what?
a.  "Damn, its' cold."
b.  "Village"
c.  "Polar Bear"
d.  "Glacier"

ANSWERS

1.  a.  Toronto
The population of Toronto is 2.7 million.

2. c.  11
And,  yes, that IS a fair question!

3. b.  LaCrosse

4.  c.  St Johns, Newfoundland
Yes, this particularly special city was founded in 1497 and is Canada's
oldest still extant city.

5. b.  6
Pacific, Mountain, Central, Eastern, Atlantic, and Newfoundland
[image: wine-snob.jpg]
La de da!  Of course Newfoundland has to have its own time zone!

6. b.  Mount Logan
This Yukon peak looms high at 5959 meters

7. c.  80%

8. e. Actually, they are all from Canada

9. a. 10

10. b.  "Village"