DAILY-ASTRONOMER Archives

Daily doses of information related to astronomy, including physics,

DAILY-ASTRONOMER@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Edward Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jul 2016 14:45:36 -0400
*THE SOUTHWORTH PLANETARIUM 207-780-4249 <207-780-4249>
 www.usm.maine.edu/planet <http://www.usm.maine.edu/planet> 70 Falmouth
Street  Portland, Maine 04103 43.6667° N                   70.2667° W
Founded January 1970*

*            "Heavens above!"*

*THE DAILY ASTRONOMER*

*Friday, July 15, 2016*

*Quiz:  Citizenship*

No, we're not all about astronomy.    Every so often, we can veer into
other realms, such as Halloween horrors, idiotic aliens who disarrange our
solar system and, in July,  nationalistic fervor.     To celebrate our
detachment from the crown, we offer questions posed to those who want to
become part of this renegade nation of ferocity and enterprise.    Today's
quiz is taken directly from citizenship tests.   Yes, we've offered this
kind of quiz before, but, today, we're including different questions.   So,
if you want to join Uncle Sam's merry band of 300 plus million souls, see
how well you fare on these questions.

1.  What is the supreme law of the land?
     a. Supreme Court
     b. The Bill of Rights
     c.  The Declaration of Independence
     d. The US Constitution

2.  What territory did the United States buy from France in 1803?
     a.  The New Mexico Territory
     b.  The Louisiana Territory
     c.   The Arizona Territory
     d.   The Nevada Territory

3.  Which of the following US-involved wars transpired during the 20th
century?  (Could be more than one)
     a.  World War I
     b.  Civil War
     c.  Korean War
     d.  French-Indian War

4.  ____________________________  and_________________________ are
America's two longest rivers.
      a.  Missouri River
      b.  Ohio River
      c.  Colorado River
      d.  Mississippi River

5.  _____________ are the first three words of the US Constitution
      a. Fourscore and seven
      b. We the People
      c.  When, in the
      d.  E Pluribus Unum

6.  The US House of Representatives has how many members?
       a.  100
       b.  252
       c.  435
       d.  535

7. Who does a US Senator represent?
      a.  half the people of their state
      b.  all the people of their state
      c.  Nobody.  The US Senators are NOT representatives, but officials
of the Republic
      d. all the people of the nation

8.  How many oceans touch the US Borders?
    a.  1
    b.  2
    c.  3
    d.  4

9.  Which ONE of these states was not one of the original thirteen colonies?
     a.  Massachusetts
     b.  Virginia
     c. Georgia
     d.  Oklahoma

10.   If the Vice President dies, who becomes President?
       a. Speaker of the House
       b. Majority Whip
       c. Senate Majority Leader
       d. None of the above

ANSWERS

1.   d.

2.  b  The Louisiana Territory

3.  a  World War I    and    c.  The Korean War

4.  a.  Missouri River and   d. Mississippi River

5.   b.  We, the People

6.  c.  435

7. b.  all the people in their state

8.   c.  3   Atlantic, Pacific, and Arctic (touches Alaska)

9.  d.  Oklahoma

10.  d. None of the Above
If the Vice President dies, the President remains president.
(So, perhaps that precise question isn't on the test.)