DAILY-ASTRONOMER Archives

Daily doses of information related to astronomy, including physics,

DAILY-ASTRONOMER@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Edward Herrick-Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward Herrick-Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2023 12:00:00 -0400
THE SOUTHWORTH PLANETARIUM
70 Falmouth Street      Portland, Maine 04103
(207) 780-4249      usm.maine.edu/planet
43.6667° N    70.2667° W  Founded January 1970
2022-2023: LXXVII
Sunrise: 6:30 a.m.
Sunset: 7:03 p.m.
Civil twilight begins: 6:01 a.m.
Civil twilight ends: 7:32 p.m.
Sun's host constellation: Pisces
Moon phase: Waxing crescent (46% illuminated)
Moonrise: 10:27 a.m.
Moonset: 3:02 a.m. (3/29/2023)
Julian date: 2460032.29
          “Does it disturb anyone else that ‘The Los Angeles Angels
baseball team translates directly to ‘The The Angels Angels’?”
                                                      —Neil DeGrasse Tyson

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Tuesday, March 28, 2023
Moon Water

________________________
Happy 3rd Anniversary, my dearest Susan.
I marvel at your forbearance.
_________________________

Eventually, or at least presumably, humans will return to and perhaps even
settle onto the moon, our nearest celestial neighbor.   Our last
emissaries, Harrison Schmidt and Eugene Cernan, left in 1972, more than
half a century ago.  Ever since these initial wanderings on the lunar
surface ended, we've looked rather forlornly at Phoebe's orb and harbored
the hope that others would follow.   Now that the Artemis program is in
full throttle, it seems that the arrival of the next wave of lunar
explorers is not only inevitable, but imminent.   According to NASA,
Artemis could plant a female astronaut on the moon as early as 2025.  These
astronauts might well pave the way for lunar colonists, those who would not
only visit the moon, but establish a base there.

We know that constructing and maintaining such a colony will prove
considerably more problematic than deploying day trippers.    These
colonists will literally need to bring all their resources with them on the
journey.   Unlike even the most misanthropic Earth-bound explorer who seeks
to put down roots in the remotest reaches of our planet, these lunar
surface inhabitants won't have access to air or even bodies of water.
  The utter lack of what we could consider these natural amenities makes
some skeptics doubt whether humans will ever live on the moon.

Then again...

Analysis of the 1,731 grams of  lunar regolith delivered to Earth by
China's Chang'e 5 probe has revealed the presence of glass beads that could
contain considerable quantities of water.    Calculations suggest that as
much as 600 trillion pounds of water could be trapped within these beads
embedded within the upper forty feet of lunar topsoil.       Scientists
believe that water has formed on the moon over billions of years as
hydrogen within the solar wind mixes with oxygen contained within the
regolith.   This water evaporates during the 200 degree F hot day and then
returns to the soil in the -200 degree F night.    It is likely that these
glass beads could serve as a resource not only for water,  but also perhaps
for rocket fuel and perhaps even molecular oxygen, something else that
astronauts will either have to bring from Earth or generate on the moon.

Not even the most optimistic scientist suggests that traveling to the moon,
let alone living there, is an easy task.   Such a migration could daunt
even the most intrepid.  However, the presence  of  these water-laden beads
on the moon might render this audacious enterprise slightly less difficult
than we once thought.

To subscribe or unsubscribe from the "Daily Astronomer"

http://lists.maine.edu/cgi/wa?A0=DAILY-ASTRONOMER