DAILY-ASTRONOMER Archives

Daily doses of information related to astronomy, including physics,

DAILY-ASTRONOMER@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Edward Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2020 12:00:00 -0500
THE SOUTHWORTH PLANETARIUM
207-780-4249   www.usm.maine.edu/planet
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.usm.maine.edu%2Fplanet&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHulkHuLP13bOG2PkNrPazsGWFs2A>
70 Falmouth Street   Portland, Maine 04103
43.6667° N                   70.2667° W
Altitude:  10 feet below sea level
Founded January 1970
Julian Date: 2458871.16
2019-2020:  XC
               "The highest level of the underworld."

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Thursday, January 23, 2020
The Closest Nebula

And then, when the day showed all signs of being rather uneventful, we went
to Pandora's Jar and withdrew the following question.

*"My wife and I have decided that we want to go on vacation to a place
where we won't encounter any of our friends, relations or creditors.     We
thought it would be pleasant to travel to a planetary nebula because they
all look so enchanting in those photographs.   Could you direct me to the
nearest one and suggest possible accommodations preferably in regions where
Americans aren't detested?   Oh, and I assume that if we travel at light
speed, we'll actually live long enough to travel there and back.   Any
information you can provide would be most appreciated."*
*                            -Spaced Traveler*

Dear Spaced Traveler,

Might I suggest the Helix Nebula as your next travel destination?   I have
provided a beguiling image of the aforementioned below.      Often mistaken
for the equally beautiful Cat's Eye Nebula, the Helix Nebula exhibits such
a brilliant array of colors it has been a favorite target for astronomers
since it was discovered by German astronomer Karl Ludwig Harding in the
1820's.   Of course, the below image was taken by the Spitzer Telescope in
the infrared region, so the nebula won't look exactly the same.

[image: 1024px-Comets_Kick_up_Dust_in_Helix_Nebula_(PIA09178).jpg]

At an estimated distance of 650 light years, the Helix Nebula is the
closest planetary nebula to Earth.  A planetary nebula is one produced when
a star with a mass comparable to the Sun expels its outer layers into
space, leaving a white dwarf remnant behind.    A perfect locale for those
who prefer a dearth of humanity or other life forms as any planets within
the vicinity will be devoid of life.    As any travel agent can attest, if
you want to avoid anti-American sentiment, seek out the uninhabited.   Of
course, you would find no accommodations at all.  The radiation levels
would be fatal and whatever worlds you encountered would be smoldering
cinders.

Now, as far as the travel time is concerned.  Yes, if (and that's a
continent-sized IF) you could travel at light speed, you would experience
no time at all during your voyage. While I don't want to quash your
vacation plans. realize that the faster you travel, the more your mass
increases. The more your mass increases, the more difficult it becomes to
accelerate your vessel to higher velocities.   If you managed to attain
light speed, your mass would be infinite.     However, let's pretend,
captain, you could attain warp speed.  While you experienced no time at all
due to relativistic time dilation, time would still pass here on Earth.
 Let's assume you and your beloved traveled to the Helix Nebula at light
speed.  You spent a week there enjoying the utter lack of fine cuisine,
luxury accommodations and captivating vistas before returning scorched,
starved, bored and bewildered.    If you returned at light speed, you and
your wife would have aged about a week on your arrival on Earth: the week
you spent on the Helix Nebula determined not to ask anybody for directions.
   However, you'd soon realize that about 1300 years had elapsed on your
home world.  (Bright side:  you avoided most creditors)

We always want to encourage people to discover the cosmos because it is
literally far beyond all fathoming.  However, take astronomy into account
before finalizing any travel plans.

To subscribe or unsubscribe from the "Daily Astronomer"
http://lists.maine.edu/cgi/wa?A0=DAILY-ASTRONOMER
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Flists.maine.edu%2Fcgi%2Fwa%3FA0%3DDAILY-ASTRONOMER&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNFP9Eoz-heh9FLK7snu6AgAaVuFtw>