DAILY-ASTRONOMER Archives

Daily doses of information related to astronomy, including physics,

DAILY-ASTRONOMER@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Edward Herrick-Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward Herrick-Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 May 2022 12:00:00 -0400
THE SOUTHWORTH PLANETARIUM
70 Falmouth Street      Portland, Maine 04103
(207) 780-4249      usm.maine.edu/planet
43.6667° N    70.2667° W  Altitude:  10 feet below sea level Founded
January 1970
2021-2022: CXXVI "When you become uncomfortable with uncertainty, infinite
possibilities open up in your life."
-Eckhart Tolle

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Wednesday, May 18, 2022
The Mass of Sagittarius A*

How often do we astronomy people toss numbers around like so much healthy
Romaine -as opposed to nutrient-bereft iceberg- lettuce in a bona-fide
garden salad replete with greens but devoid of tasty. but high-caloric
garnishments?* Examples: "The Sun is about 93 million miles away," or "the
Milky Way Galaxy" is 100,000 light years across or "the supermassive black
hole occupying the galactic nucleus is 4.3 million times more massive than
the Sun." These numbers all sound quite impressive, which explains why we
love to toss them about . However, one must wonder: how do we know these
values? After all, our most distant space probe, Voyager 1, is only now
pushing beyond the heliosphere surrounding our own tiny little solar
system.

While we can't explain every single number in one article (or even in 100
articles), we will try to explain how astronomers determined the mass of
Sagittarius A*, the SBH in the galactic nucleus. The determination of this
mass involves observations of stars within the vicinity of Sagittarius A*.
By measuring the speeds and estimating the sizes of these stars, one can
estimate Sagittarius A*'s mass.

As we can see below in a composite image captured by the UCLA Galactic
Group, the paths of many stars close to Sagittarius A* are plotted. By
knowing the distance to the nucleus (approximately 10,000 parsecs) one can
convert the angular displacement into kilometers. By marking the positions
over a given time interval, one can calculate the speeds of these stars.

[image: main-qimg-a46d2bbcc73f9d0a34d65f2ab8c53f55-pjlq.jpg]

So, why does this speed matter? Simply because the mass of Sagittarius A*
determines the velocities of the stars surrounding it. This relation holds
for any orbiting bodies. If the parent body is highly massive, the orbiting
objects will move very swiftly. If one were to remove material from that
central object, the speeds of the bodies revolving around it would be
reduced.

Mathematically, the calculations yield the combined masses of the central
object and that which orbits it. However, in most instances, the smaller
object's mass represents a negligible fraction of the parent body's mass.
This is particularly true Sagittarius A*, which astronomers have determined
is 4.3 million times more massive than the Sun.

This example, which we hope made sense, illustrates the governing principle
of astronomy: that nearly all the information garnered about the Universe
is gathered remotely: inference at a distance.

*Yes, I'm an attentive, as well as uxorious, husband.

https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DAILY-ASTRONOMER&A=1