DAILY-ASTRONOMER Archives

Daily doses of information related to astronomy, including physics,

DAILY-ASTRONOMER@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Edward Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2018 13:42:03 -0400
SOUTHWORTH PLANETARIUM
207-780-4249       www.usm.maine.edu/planet
70 Falmouth Street      Portland, Maine 04103

PLANET EARTH DAY
Saturday, July 7, 2018
9:30 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.

A planetarium event aimed at Earth-lovers and binge watchers!   Join
us on July 7th for a day-long event that will take us from the depths
of the oceans, to the upper reaches of atmosphere.  Explore the
world's natural history.   Learn how life evolved on Earth.  Explore
the cities!   Admire the aurora! See the Earth quake and even spend
time with dinosaurs.
PLANET EARTH DAY delves into the many spheres of our complex and
dynamic world.   We invite you to experience the whole world in one
day!

One Earth pass will allow you to attend any or all of the shows!

Admission:
An adult Earth pass:    $10.00
A child/senior Earth pass:    $8.00

             PLANET EARTH DAY 2018 SHOW SCHEDULE

10:00 a.m. Chronicle of a Journey to Earth
We are space travelers visiting Earth and learning why our planet is so
special

10:45 a.m. Life: a Cosmic Story
What is the connection between the physical forces governing the
Universe and the development of life on Earth?

11:30 a.m. Earthquake: Evidence of the Restless Planet
Our Earth is never quiet.    We explore the powerful forces behind
tectonic planet motions!

12:00 p.m. Night Sky Tour
A 20 minute live tour of the night sky as seen from our part of Earth.

12:30 p.m. Bella Gaia: The Beautiful Earth
An art house planetarium program that shows the planet’s many
beautiful aspects: from aurora to seasonal changes to city development

1:00 p.m. Dinosaurs at Dusk!
A father and daughter travel through time to the epoch of the dinosaur
and learn the origins of flight

2:00 p.m. Into the Deep
Explore the wonder worlds within Earth’s oceans. A show that combines
marine biology and the history of deep sea exploration.

3:00 p.m. Fragile Planet: Earth's Place in the Universe
Earth survives in a dangerous region of space.   Cosmic rays and other
celestial phenomena could imperil our planet.   What are these
dangers?

3:45 p.m. Habitat Earth: Living in a Connected World
How delicate, but resilient, Earth’s life forms have proven to be.
Discover the complex interconnections between all of Earth’s life
forms.

4:30 p.m.  Life: a Cosmic Story
What is the connection between the physical forces governing the
Universe and the development of life on Earth?

5:00 - 6:00 p.m. BREAK

6:00 p.m. Natural Selection!
A beautiful program about the dynamics and workings of evolution.

7:00 p.m. Earthquake: Evidence of the Restless Planet
Our Earth is never quiet.    We explore the powerful forces behind
tectonic planet motions!

7:30 p.m. Fragile Planet: Earth's Place in the Universe
Earth survives in a dangerous region of space.   Cosmic rays and other
celestial phenomena could imperil our planet.   What are these
dangers?

8:00 p.m. Beyond the Arctic Circle
Journey to the top of the world to discover the mystical realm of the
extreme north.

8:20 p.m.  Aurora Storm!
An 11 minute show that blends the science and mythology of the Aurora
Borealis, or “Northern Lights.”

8:40 p.m. Night Sky tour