DAILY-ASTRONOMER Archives

Daily doses of information related to astronomy, including physics,

DAILY-ASTRONOMER@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Edward Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Sep 2020 09:58:45 -0400
[image:
Bernard_Picart_-_Ixion_in_Tartarus_on_the_Wheel_1731_-_(MeisterDrucke-319614).jpg]
*IXION: * *The worst of the worst?*
One could describe the Tartarus society as the mythological Universe's most
exclusive club.    For those who might have forgotten (or were
prudent enough not to have paid attention), Tartarus is the Underworld's
punitive region.    It is the deepest chasm of the dead world in which only
the most incorrigibly iniquitous souls are condemned to suffer unspeakable
and ineluctable torments.   Down there one would find the deceitful
Sisyphus rolling a rock uphill each day only to have it descend back to the
base overnight.  One would also encounter the child-cooking Tantalus neck
deep in water and under the shade of fruit laden branches.    Though
parched with thirst and ravenously hungry, he can neither drink the water
nor pick one of the hanging fruits.     Torture without reprieve for all
eternity.      Say what you will about Zeus -and there is plenty to say- he
certainly knows how to mete out horrific punishments.      We can find no
better example of this harsh sense of justice than in the case of Ixion.
 Of course, after reading about Ixion, one might find it exceedingly
difficult to feel sorry for him.    The son of war god Ares and Permele,
Ixion was a Thessalian king who ruled the Lapith people.  It was said that
his reign of terror for he was as cruel as he was unwise.    In personal
matters, he proved to be no better.   He had resolved to marry Dia, the
beautiful eldest daughter of his kinsman Eioneus.   Eioneus consented to
the marriage, provided that Ixion pay a substantial bride-price: many
steads and a stead's weight in gold.    Ixion agreed to the terms, asking
only to have the wedding precede the payment, for he needed time to collect
the necessary funds.    So, Ixion married Dia, while Eioneus allowed his
new son-in-law one year and one day to furnish him with the gold and
horses.  Ixion had instructed Eioneus to visit his (Ixion's) house on the
appointed day to claim the bride-price.    Just before Eioneus reached the
entrance, he fell into Ixion's trap: a deep pit filled with burning coals.
Ixion watched with bemusement as Eioneus perished in anguish.  Though he
avoided having to pay the bride-price, Ixion needed someone to perform the
necessary purification ritual so as to avoid posthumous punishment.
 Everyone was so shocked at his crime that he could find nobody to purify
him.  Finally, Zeus took pity on Ixion and invited him to Olympus where the
god, himself, would perform the ritual.   Zeus secretly lusted after Dia,
himself, and was therefore sympathetic toward the king.     However,soon
after arriving on Olympus, Ixion attempted to seduce Zeus' wife, Hera.
 Hera fled and informed her husband about Ixion's impertinence.   Zeus then
fashioned a cloud into the same exact form as Hera, down to the last
detail.    This imposter, named Nephele, sought out Ixion who promptly
committed adultery with her, much to Zeus' chagrin.        After the
encounter, Zeus condemned Ixion to an eternity in Tartarus.   Ixion was
bound by snakes to a wheel turning ever after over inextinguishable
flames.   As a consequence of her coupling with Ixion, Nephele gave birth
to the fearsome creature Centaurus,     Centaurus went on to mate with the
wild horses of Mount Pelion to produce the fearsome race of Centaurs.
All these Centaurs, save Cheiron, were known to have been vicious, lusty,
deceitful and crafty, much like their grandfather who spins for all
eternity over the flames of Tartarus.

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Tuesday, September 8, 2020
Remote Planetarium 84:  More Questions I

During this "Remote Planetarium" course we have collected a few questions
that have hitherto gone unanswered.       Hence, a two day diversion from
our galactic exploration.   No worries.  We'll be returning to the Milky
Way's outer reaches soon enough.

*What does it mean that Mars is going retrograde on September 9th?  *
*-S.H.*
We should first point out that all the planets revolve around the Sun in
the same direction.  They do not reverse course.   However, the planets do
move at different velocities.   The closer planets move more quickly than
those farther away.      (Example:  Mercury's average orbital velocity
equals 160,000 miles per hour;  Earth's average velocity is only 66,000
MPH.)  Being Earth-bound observers, we are watching moving planets from a
moving platform.     If we were somehow to see planets from a stationary
platform, they would all appear to move along the same direction.

Mars is farther from the Sun than Earth, so its orbital velocity is
slower.    At times, Earth will pass directly between the Sun and Mars.
 We refer to this configuration as "Mars at opposition."
Generally, we see Mars moving in a "prograde" manner:  west to east over
the course of many nights.    However, when Earth approaches Mars, the
latter planet will eventually appear to "stop" relative to the background
stars before starting a 'retrograde loop,' as Earth passes by Mars.   When
Earth moves on, Mars will eventually become "stationary" again before
resuming prograde motion.

[image: Retrograde_Mars.jpg]
This apparent reversal is illusory, caused by the relative motions of the
two planets.    Remember that we mark a planet's position against the
stars.   These stars serve as landmarks by which we measure the changing
positions of other celestial bodies.

[image: retrogrademars03_tezel_big-257x300.jpg]
The above image shows a "retrograde loop" of Mars as it appears to change
direction over many weeks.   A superior planet's retrograde motion begins
before it reaches opposition and ends after opposition.          For
instance:

*September 9, 2020: *  Mars stationary.  Begins retrograde motion

*October 13, 2020:  * Mars at opposition

*November 13, 2020: *  Mars stationary.  Resumes prograde motion

*Since matter and energy are equivalent, is dark matter the same as dark
energy?*
K.S.
One would think so, but "dark matter" and "dark energy" are entirely
different.   Dark matter refers to material within the Universe that
doesn't emit any radiation and so is called "dark."  Astronomers believe
dark matter exists because of the gravitational influence it exerts on
visible matter.   Dark energy refers to the "force" responsible for
accelerating the Universal expansion.     Astronomers know that the
Universe has been expanding since its birth 13.8 billion years ago in the
"Big Bang" event.        It was believed that the Universal expansion would
slow down over time due the gravitational pull of the matter within it.
 Yet, researchers in the late 1990s determined that the expansion is
actually accelerating, instead.      As no known physical force can explain
this phenomenon, astronomers ascribe it to 'dark energy.'   The "dark" in
this instance refers to our ignorance of its nature.      Dark matter and
dark energy together comprise the majority of the cosmos.  However, they
are not the same.

[image: c0463281-universe_s_dark_energy_expansion_illustration-spl.jpg]
 *Dark energy *is the unknown force believed to be responsible for the
acceleration of the Universal expansion.  * Dark matter* refers to the
material that does not emit light, but is known to exist because of its
influence on visible matter.

https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DAILY-ASTRONOMER&A=
<https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DAILY-ASTRONOMER&A=1>