DAILY-ASTRONOMER Archives

Daily doses of information related to astronomy, including physics,

DAILY-ASTRONOMER@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Edward Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2018 08:24:06 -0400
Greetings!

Yes, it's been awhile since we've sent a transmission!
(The DA will return with a thunderous fury on September 4th, which,
horrifyingly, is a week from Tuesday!)

Today, we wanted to tell you about an exciting new development at the
Southworth Planetarium.   (Yes, I know..we're the type of people who think
phosphorescent pocket protectors are exciting, but please read on, anyway.)

For the last two years, the SP has offered "Astronomy a la Carte" classes
during the day.
This autumn, we will still offer these standalone classes during the day.
However, we will also offer a night session
for those who might be otherwise occupied during the day.

Find out more below.

Walk ins are welcome!

What is "Astronomy a la Carte?"
Simple.     This course consists of 12 "stand alone" astronomy classes
designed for anyone!  You may enroll in any of all of these different
classes.       As they are not continuous, a student can pick and
choose the classes that interest them the most.       We have
stand-alone classes about the moon, the Sun, galaxies, space weather,
stars and even a class about the "Strange
Universe."
You are welcome to attend any or all classes.    You may register by
calling 207-780-4249 or by contacting Edward Gleason at
$12.00 per person
($20.00 for a couple;
$130 for one person to attend them all;   $225 for a couple to attend them
all.)

Class # 1:  THE MOON
Monday, September 24,  2018    7:00 – 8:30 p.m.
The sky's fastest mover is our first stop.     We explore every aspect
of the moon: its phases, its motions, and eclipses.   We'll examine
its surface, explain why it has dark regions and craters.     Every
student will receive a "Moon Watcher's Guide."

Class # 2:  THE SOLAR SYSTEM
Monday, October 1, 2018   7:00 – 8:30 p.m.
We explore our small little niche in the galaxy.   Our solar system
consists of a blazing hot star encircled by a retinue of exotic
worlds.   Rapid Mercury, brilliant Venus, verdant Earth,  blood-red
Mars, giant Jupiter, magnificent Saturn, strange Uranus, and
ocean-blue Neptune. (We'll also cover Pluto).    Join us for this
odyssey through the solar system.    Learn how to find planets in the
sky and how they move relative to the Earth.    We'll learn the tricks
to predict their motions and position.   The class ends with a showing
of the planetarium show “Eight Planets and Counting.”

CLASS # 3:   CONSTELLATIONS OF AUTUMN
Monday, October 8, 2018     7:00 – 8:30 p.m.
Astronomical autumn began on Saturday, September 22nd.  We devote this
course to the stars of the autumn sky:  Pegasus the Winged Horse,
Andromeda the Chained Woman, the king Cepheus, Queen Cassiopeia, sea
monster Cetus and many others.  Immerse yourself in the autumn night
sky.

Class # 4:   COMETS AND ASTEROIDS
Monday, October 15, 2018   7:00 – 8:30 p.m.
Tens of thousands of asteroids and comets careen through the solar
system!    Today's class takes students to the main asteroid belt
between Mars and Jupiter.  We also venture out the Kuiper Belt, the
origin body of short period comets and the Oort Cloud, the expansive
reservoir of long period cometary nuclei.   How many comets are
approaching the solar system?    Could Earth be devastated by an
impacting asteroid?   Join us for our "Comets and Asteroids" class.

Week # 5:    UNDERSTANDING STARS
Monday, October 22, 2018 7:00 – 8:30 p.m.
How do astronomers know what they know about the stars?   This class
will teach students the basics of stellar astronomy.  How do we know
the distances to the stars, their sizes and temperatures?    By using
a few geometrical tricks and the H-R Diagram (often dubbed the
"Astronomer's Stone.) we'll learn how to decipher star light to
understand the stars.   Students will receive an H-R Diagram.

Week # 7:   LUNAR ECLIPSES
Monday, October 29, 2018   7:00 – 8:30 p.m.
Provided skies are clear, we will be able to observe a total lunar
eclipse on the night of January 20 - 21, 2019.    Today's class
focuses on the mechanics of lunar eclipses.   How do they occur?  Why
don't they happen every month?  We also learn how to read a lunar
eclipse diagram and to predict upcoming lunar eclipses using the Saros
Cycle.

Week # 8:   SPACE WEATHER
Monday, November 5, 2018  7:00 – 8:30 p.m.
Northern lights!  Meteors showers! The Green Flash!  Solar Wind!
Solar storms!   Space Weather is the over arching term we use for all
the phenomena caused by the interaction of Earth and outer space.
We'll learn the causes of the aurora and how to observe them.    We'll
learn about the major meteor showers and how to observe meteor trails.
Students will be given meteor tracking charts.

Week # 9:  GALAXIES AND CLUSTERS
Monday, November 12, 2018   7:00 – 8:30 p.m.

GALAXIES:
They are the building blocks of the Universe.  Our home galaxy, the
Milky Way, is but one of hundreds of billions of galaxies in the
cosmos.   What is our galaxy's structrue?  How do they differ from
other galaxies?     We'll learn more about the Local Group, the
cluster of galaxies containing the Milky Way and  the other super
clusters.   Students will be given a map of the Milky Way Galaxy.

CLUSTERS:
Astronomers divide star clusters into two main types:   Large, old and
distant globulars,  small, young and relatively nearby galactic
clusters.  This class focuses on both the enormous galaxies and
comparatively small star clusters.

NO CLASS NOVEMBER 19H

 Week # 10:   BIG BANG AND COSMOLOGY
Monday, November 26 , 2018  7:00 – 8:30 p.m.
How did the Universe begin? Cosmologists believe that the cosmos began
about 13.8 billion years ago in a single event called "The Big Bang."
This class takes us as far back in time as it is possible to travel.
How did scientists determine how the Universe was born?   We'll talk
about the expansion and future of the Universe.

Week # 11: BLACK HOLES AND TIME WARPS
Monday, December 3, 2018   7:00 – 8:30 p.m.
Black holes.  Time warps.  Dark Matter.  Dark Energy.  The last
astronomy class of the semester propels us into the Universe of the
weird.    What happens if you fall into a black hole?    Why is most
of the Universe still mysterious to astronomers?  Does time really
stop on space vessels traveling at light speed?

Week # 12:   WINTER CONSTELLATIONS
Monday, December 10, 2018   7:30 – 9:00 p.m.
As we draw close to astronomical winter, we focus on the prominent
winter constellations:   Orion the Hunter, the Seven Sisters, Gemini
the Twins, Auriga the Charioteer and the other characters adorning our
winter sky.    This is the final class of the autumn session of
"Astronomy a la Carte   Fall 2018 Session."