DAILY-ASTRONOMER Archives

Daily doses of information related to astronomy, including physics,

DAILY-ASTRONOMER@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Edward Herrick-Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward Herrick-Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Nov 2022 12:00:00 -0500
THE SOUTHWORTH PLANETARIUM
70 Falmouth Street      Portland, Maine 04103
(207) 780-4249      usm.maine.edu/planet
43.6667° N    70.2667° W
Founded January 1970
2022-2023: XXXV
Sunrise: 7:21 a.m.
Sunset: 4:24 p.m.
Civil twilight ends: 4;54 p.m.
Sun's host constellation: Libra the Scales
Moon phase: Full
Moonrise: 4:04 p.m.
Moonset: 6:32 a.m.
Julian date: 2459890.21
"Don't vote. It only encourages them." -Seen on a bumper sticker (and also
attributed to many individuals)

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Monday, November 7, 2022
Questions About Tomorrow Morning's Total Lunar Eclipse

Have you set your alarm clocks for 4 a.m?
If not, we strongly encourage you to do so if you are inclined to observe
tomorrow's morning total lunar eclipse. This type of eclipse occurs when
the full moon moves directly through Earth's inner shadow, called the
*umbra*. Although we'll only see the first phases (the moon sets during
totality), watching this spectacle is certainly worth the sleep
deprivation. After all, lunar eclipses don't occur every single month.
(Find out why below)

As is our wont, we will adopt the question/answer format when discussing
impending celestial events.

*WHEN WILL IT OCCUR AND WHAT IS THE TIMELINE?*

*PENUMBRAL ECLIPSE BEGINS * - *3:02:15 a.m.*
Nothing to see here. The moon first touches the *penumbra*, the outer part
of Earth's shadow. The resultant brightness diminishment is so slight as to
be unobservable. While those in possession of superhuman eyesight might be
able to notice an obscuration, we mortals would just look upon a full moon
as it, well, always appears.

*PARTIAL ECLIPSE BEGINS - 4:09:12 a.m.*
This is what you'll likely want to see: the moon first touches the umbra.
Now, you can observe the curved shadow moving across the bright lunar disc.
During the next hour and seven minutes, the moon will move progressively
deeper into the umbra until it is completely covered.

*TOTAL ECLIPSE BEGINS * - *5:16:39 a.m.*
Totality, the time period in which the moon is completely inside the umbra,
begins.

*MAXIMUM ECLIPSE* - *5:59:11 a.m.*
The moment when the moon passes through the deepest part of the inner
shadow.

*MOON SET * -* 6:32 a.m.*
The moon sets from our perspective. Do note, however, that the moon will
likely be difficult to see during most of totality, however, due to its low
position along the western horizon.

We'll include the rest of the timetable for completeness:

*TOTALITY ENDS - 6:41:36 a.m.*
The moon starts to leave the umbra

*PARTIAL ECLIPSE ENDS - 7:49:03 a.m.*
The moon leaves the umbra. The scarcely visible penumbral eclipse continues

*PENUMBRAL ECLIPSE ENDS - 8:56:09 a.m.*
The superhumans can return to bed now.

*ARE THERE DIFFERENT TYPES OF LUNAR ECLIPSES?*
Yes. Tomorrow's event is a total lunar eclipse, one of four types, all of
which are defined as follows.

   - *Partial Penumbral: *when only part of the moon's moves through the
   *penumbra*, Earth's outer shadow. Excitement rating: nada, zilch, goose
   egg
   - *Penumbra: *when the entire moon moves through the penumbra, but
   doesn't touch the umbra. Excitement rating: 2.3 atomic layers higher than
   goose egg
   - *Partial: *when part of the moon moves through the *umbra, *Earth's
   inner shadow Excitement rating: Much higher! Ostrich egg
   - *Total: *when all of the moon moves through the umbra. Excitement
   rating: Stratospheric!! T-Rex egg.

[image: Earths-penumbra-and-umbra.png]

*WHY DON'T LUNAR ECLIPSES OCCUR EVERY MONTH?*
Lunar eclipses would occur during every full moon if the moon's orbit were
perfectly aligned with Earth's.   However, the moon's inclination is about
5.1 degrees. Or, its orbit subtends a 5.1 degree angle relative to our
planet's orbit, called *the ecliptic.  *Consequently, during most
oppositions (full moons), the moon is either north or south of Earth's
orbital plane. As a result, the moon will not pass directly through Earth's
shadow.   This month, the full moon is close enough to the *node*, or the
intersection between the orbits, that it will travel through the shadow
cone to produce a lunar eclipse.

[image: moon.orbit_-e1498934371864.jpg]

*WHY DOES THE MOON TURN RED DURING A TOTAL LUNAR ECLIPSE?*
Because red light originating from the ring of sunsets/sunrises fills
Earth's shadow cone. The eclipsed moon reflects that red light just as the
moon reflects sunlight.
[image: Umbra_color_schematic-630x354.jpg]
We should mention that not all total lunar eclipses appear the same.
Variations in the atmospheric conditions cause variations in the
colorations of total lunar eclipses. French astronomer André-Louis Danjon
(1890-1967) proposed a scale designed to measure these variations, now
called, appropriately, The Danjon Scale:

   - *0  *  Extremely dark eclipse.  The moon is almost invisible during
   totality.
   - *1*     Grey/brown eclipse.   Moon's features are discernible, but
   difficult to observe
   - *2*    Deep red/rust colored eclipse.  Central part of the moon darker
   than the edges
   - *3    *Brick-red eclipse.    Umbral shadow exudes a bright, sometimes
   yellowish hue
   - *4    *Bright, copper red or even orange coloration

While the solar cycle affects these ratings, hence Danjon's decision to
develop the scale, terrestrial factors such as volcanic eruptions tend to
be more important.     For instance, the lunar eclipse on December 9, 1992
rated a 0 on the Danjon scale because of the eruption of Mount Pinatubo
which occurred during the spring and summer of 1991. The ratings are
subjective and so vary somewhat from observer to observer.

*HOW CAN ONE USE THE SAROS CYCLE TO PREDICT FUTURE LUNAR ECLIPSES?*
The Saros refers to the cycle of lunar eclipses within the same series.
Successive eclipses in a given Saros Cycle are separated by 18 years, 11
days and 8 hours.   For instance, Sunday's lunar eclipse is part of the
Saros Cycle 136.    The Saros cycle duration enables us to predict with a
fair degree of certainty the dates of the next few successive lunar
eclipses within
this cycle.          Let's try.

We assume that the next Saros 136 lunar eclipse will occur around November
18, 2040.   The actual date: *November 18,2040*
The date of the next Saros 136 lunar eclipse?    *November 30, 2058*
The following Saros 136 lunar eclipse:  *December 10, 2076*

The Saros Cycle duration is 18 years, 11 days and 8 HOURS, so at times, the
dates between successive eclipses won't be precisely 18 days and 11
hours.Also, one cannot use this method forever as Saros Cycles are of
finite duration which begin and end as a series of penumbral eclipses.
 For instance, the Saros 136 lunar eclipse series began on April 13, 1680
and will end on June 1, 2960.

*IF I DECIDE, WELL, IT'S JUST NOT WORTH IT TO WAKE UP EARLY, HOW LONG WILL
I HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL THE NEXT ONE?*
You'll only have to wait until *March 14, 2025 *to see the next total lunar
eclipse. Fortunately, we in New England will be able to observe the entire
eclipse.

*WILL THE SOUTHWORTH PLANETARIUM BE OPEN FOR THIS EVENT?*
Not this time. We have found that such early morning events don't attract
many people. However, we intend to remain open for most of the March 14,
2025 event, weather permitting.

*SPEAKING OF WHICH, WHAT IS TOMORROW MORNING'S FORECAST?*
Absolutely, positively, beautifully, wonderfully and undeniably clear. You
have absolutely no excuse NOT to catapult yourself out from under the
covers to watch the first part of this eclipse

https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DAILY-ASTRONOMER&A=1