DAILY-ASTRONOMER Archives

Daily doses of information related to astronomy, including physics,

DAILY-ASTRONOMER@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Edward Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 2020 12:00:00 -0500
THE SOUTHWORTH PLANETARIUM
207-780-4249   www.usm.maine.edu/planet
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.usm.maine.edu%2Fplanet&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHulkHuLP13bOG2PkNrPazsGWFs2A>
70 Falmouth Street   Portland, Maine 04103
43.6667° N                   70.2667° W
Altitude:  10 feet below sea level
Founded January 1970
Julian Date: 245882.16
2019-2020:  XCVII

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Monday, February 3, 2020
February 2020 Night Sky Calendar
Part I

February 2020's night sky calendar will prove to be another mix of mostly
moon related celestial events.     We know that so much transpires each
night that we could devote a hundred pages to a single evening. However,
these calendars are intended for casual as well as more devoted observers.
  Consequently, we want to include those events that are interesting and
easily observable.   At times we must focus on the moon, the easiest
celestial object to observe.

This first part will be far more brief than the one to follow tomorrow.

*SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 2:   IMBOLC/GROUNDHOG'S DAY/FIRST CROSS QUARTER DAY*
Did (Pennsylvania city name that is impossible to spell correctly) Phil see
his shadow?   Well, we're not sure.  All we know is that today is
Groundhog's Day, also known more solemnly as "Imbolc."  Astronomically. Feb
2 is the year's first Cross Quarter Day, defined as the day midway between
successive seasonal points.     Feb 2nd is the CQ day between the winter
solstice and the vernal equinox.  The next one is the verdant and gorgeous
May Day  or Beltane (May 1), the CQ day between the vernal equinox and
summer solstice.  The Third, and least well known in the US, is Lammas on
August 1, which marks the midway point between the summer solstice and the
autumnal equinox.  Finally, the fourth is Halloween os Samhain, on October
31st, the mid point between the autumnal equinox and winter solstice.

*SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 2:  FIRST QUARTER MOON*

*SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 9:   FULL MOON*
The appropriately named full SNOW moon occurs at 2:33 a.m. on Sunday
morning. One would be well advised to seek  it out the night before when it
will rise around sunset.       The February full moon is also known as the
"ice moon," and the "planting moon" by people who live in warmer regions.

To subscribe or unsubscribe from the "Daily Astronomer"
http://lists.maine.edu/cgi/wa?A0=DAILY-ASTRONOMER
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Flists.maine.edu%2Fcgi%2Fwa%3FA0%3DDAILY-ASTRONOMER&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNFP9Eoz-heh9FLK7snu6AgAaVuFtw>