DAILY-ASTRONOMER Archives

Daily doses of information related to astronomy, including physics,

DAILY-ASTRONOMER@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Edward Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 2019 16:00:00 -0400
THE USM SOUTHWORTH PLANETARIUM
207-780-4249     www.usm.maine.edu/planet
70 Falmouth Street     Portland, Maine  04103
43.6667° N                   70.2667° W
Altitude:   10 feet below sea level
Founded January 1970
Julian date:  2458661.5
                      "Where even the lows are wonderful..."

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Friday, June 28, 2019
Quiz XXIII:  2019...So Far

On July 1st, a new year begins!  Well, a new fiscal year begins for the
planetarium and the University of Maine System.    By the calendar, the
2019 year will be half over on that date!    Can you believe that 2019 is
almost half over, already?    It doesn't seem possible!  (Of course, don't
we ALWAYS say that, no matter what the date?   'Wow!  I can't believe it's
October 14, already, can you?'   'Man, I can't get over that it's already
1066....hey, were those ships there, yesterday?!')
Well, believe it or not, we're about to pass 2019's bisection period.   In
honor of this half measure, we're offering a brief 10-question quiz about
all things 2019.

1. Let's get it over with:   what is 2019 in Roman Numerals?
a. MMIX
b. MMXIX
c.  MMMIX
d.  MMXIV

2.  This week, NBC televised two debates featuring how many Democratic
Presidential hopefuls in all?
a.  11
b. 16
c. 20
d. 24

3.  With the notable exception of sound recordings, all works published in
what year became part of the public domain on January 1, 2019?
a.  1819
b.  1869
c.  1919
d. 1923

4.  May 2019 saw the Coronation of King Vajiralongkorn of which country?
a.  Norway
b. Thailand
c.  Laos
d.  Madagascar

5.   Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt are the last two contenders to become
the next:
a.  Prime Minister of the UK
b.  American Idol
c.  Head Coach of the New England Patriots.  (Mephistopheles came to
collect Brady and Belichick last week.)
d.  Prime Minister of Canada

6.  Nobel Laureate Murray Gell-Mann died on May 24, 2019.   Which of the
following statements about him is/are true?
a.  He coined the term "quark" in relation to the constituent particles of
subatomic particles
b.  He developed the Totalitarian Principle of Quantum Physics which states
that "Everything not forbidden is compulsory."
c.  He discovered two moons of Pluto
d.  He discovered the Big Bang "echo" with his homemade radio receiver

7.  During Holy Week 2019, Notre Dame cathedral was engulfed in flames,
resulting in extensive damage.   In which century did construction begin on
this cathedral?
a.  11th
b.  12th
c.  14th
d.  15th

8. In April 2019, astronomers produced the very first image of a(n)
__________
a.  black hole
b.  asteroid made of diamond
c.  Oort Cloud object
d.  a galaxy consisting entirely of dark matter

9.   Julian Assange, founder of Wikileaks, was finally arrested on April
11, 2019, in London after having spent seven years in the _____________
embassy.
a.  American
b.  Ecuadorian
c.  Australian
d. Portuguese

10. Ok, we'll end with a sports question for my beloved brother living in
Maryland.  Which Major league baseball team has the worst record so far in
2019?
a.  Baltimore Orioles
b.  New York Yankees
c.  Boston Red Sox
d.  Chicago Cubs

ANSWERS

1.  b. MMXIX

2. c. 20
10 on Wednesday; 10 on Thursday..
And there names are....oh, forget it....

3. d. 1923

4. b. Thailand

5. a.  Prime Minister of the UK
Boris, former Foreign Secretary and Mayor of London, is the front runner.
However, the Tories haven't elected the favorite candidate for the highest
post since 1965, so book makers are still taking bets.

6. a.  He coined the term "quark" in relation to the constituent particles
of subatomic particles
b.  He developed the Totalitarian Principle of Quantum Physics which states
that "Everything not forbidden is compulsory."

7. b.  12th
Construction started in 1160

8. a.  black hole
In the nucleus of Galaxy M87