DAILY-ASTRONOMER Archives

Daily doses of information related to astronomy, including physics,

DAILY-ASTRONOMER@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Edward Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 2019 15:07:06 -0400
Mobius Math Tutoring Service!
"We can't figure out how to add the umlaut"

Yes, that is actually our slogan.    Granted, it might not inspire
confidence in our abilities to spell words of Germanic origin, a true
deficiency if we were offering a service to help your child appreciate
Tolkienesque literature.      However, as the name implies -or, actually,
comes right out and tells you- the Mobius Math Tutoring Service wants to
help people understand math.  Heavens, not only understand mathematics, but
to admire its exquisite beauty, appreciate its formidable powers, and
recognize that mathematics governs the dynamics of this ceaselessly
changing and gobstoppingly gorgeous cosmos.

Now, who might benefit from this service?    Anybody who wants to know math
but believes that it is utterly impossible:  like dividing by zero, or
calculating the last digit of pi, or proving Gromov's filling area
conjecture that asserts that a hemisphere has a minimum area among all
possible surfaces that fill a closed curve of a given length without
introducing shortcuts between its points.

Well, all we can say is, "BAH!  The human mind is supernatural.  The mind
generates 50,000 thoughts a day!   There are more neural connections in
your grey matter than there are stars in the galaxy.    Anxiety and
self-doubt, which are universal, impede the mind flow so dramatically we're
surprised they haven't been classified as controlled substances.   Believe
me when I tell you that you can understand math!

Ok, now we want to talk to the distressed math student:

Hey, there!  My name is Edward.
May I ask you a question:  do you have ghosts?    What I mean by this
statement is, when you are contemplating a math problem, do apparitions
emerge from the dimly lit catacombs?  Perhaps the know-it-all student who
smirks when others get the wrong answer in class?  Perhaps a know it all
adult who glowers at the teeming mass of inferior minds who pollute his
planet?  Do they dance out of the shadows when you encounter a tricky math
problem to make sure you know you're not any good at math and should give
it up as a bad job?     I have those ghosts, too, including the apparition
of the teacher who once said, "after seeing your first test, Mr. Gleason, I
openly declared that you have the IQ of a doorstop. However, after seeing
your second test, I was admittedly compelled to re-evaulate that assessment
and devoted the better part of an afternoon going through the school
apologizing to all the door stops."   Over time, I've trained those
apparitions to be nicer to me and to even perform menial tasks, like
fetching me dollops of dopamine or sponging the inside of my cranium in hot
weather.     You can kick those ghosts back to the Balrog dens in the deep
darkness.   They are articulating an untruth to you!

First and foremost, we know that math instruction engenders the one thing
that renders math instruction so difficult: anxiety.   Secondly, we know
that you're better at math than you probably think you are.  Third, we know
that there is a part of all of us that resonate with mathematics:  that
senses the magic inherent in the diagrams of projectiles, the arrangements
of flower petals and calculation of compound interest.

Know that you can cope with math:  with time, patience, and by having
casual conversations about it with someone who is not intimidating.  Yes,
that's right.  I am not intimidating as I am not a math genius.  It's true
that I will probably never become the Lucasian professor of mathematics.
On the other hand, I can function in social situations and balance my
checkbook.

If you need math instruction for basic math, algebra, geometry, statistics,
pre-calculus, calculus or differential equations, we invite you to contact
Mobius Math Tutoring Services.   Let us be your guide through the complex,
but wondrous, universe of mathematics!

$20.00/hour
Payment plans are available.

Contact: