DAILY-ASTRONOMER Archives

Daily doses of information related to astronomy, including physics,

DAILY-ASTRONOMER@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Edward Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Oct 2016 10:08:08 -0400
THE SOUTHWORTH PLANETARIUM
207-780-4249      www.usm.maine.edu/planet
70 Falmouth Street     Portland, Maine 04103
43.6667° N                   70.2667° W
Founded January 1970
Julian date:  2457674.16
         "A nurse walks into a doctor's office and says, "Doctor, the
Invisible Man is sitting out in the waiting room.   The Doctor replies,
'Tell him I can't see him.'"
                    From "Plato and a Platypus Walk Into a Bar"

*THE DAILY ASTRONOMER*
*Tuesday, October 11, 2016*
*Tip Queries*

Yesterday's posting about night sky watching tips generated a lot of
response from subscribers asking questions about those tips.    We posted
that tip list yesterday in conjunction with an announcement about
yesterday's "Astromomy Cafe."     So today's DA addresses some of the
questions we received about this list.   Alas, we cannot count these as
pandora questions because we haven't even bothered to inscribe them on
parchment paper and stuff them into  the vessel.    Instead, we'll address
them all at once.

*"You told us to use red light to read a star chart.  Does it have to be
red?"*
*-M.P*.

One should use monochromatic light to read star charts so as not to
diminish dark sky adaptation.     "Monochromatic" means light of a single
wavelength.  (A red gel will not produce purely monochromatic light, as a
laser would,   However, its close)    We strongly recommend red because
that color hardly diminishes dark adaptation at all.   Using another color,
such as blue or green, won't be as effective.   And, no, to be honest, I
don't know why red affects this adaptation less than other colors.

*"Is it true that colder nights are better for star gazing?"*
*-S.B.*

It can be.  First, the winter night sky is adorned with an abundance of
bright stars, such as those within the Winter Hexagon.        Secondly,
star watching is often easier in the winter because there is less
radiational cooling, so the atmosphere is less turbulent.    In the summer
when the temperatures are humane, the ground is warmed by the benevolent
Sun throughout the day.  At night, some of that residual heat radiates
away, disturbing the atmosphere.     Winter is colder and so the ground
isn't radiating as much heat at night and the atmosphere is less turbulent.

*The Winter Hexagon.    Many sky watchers prefer the winter night sky
because it contains bright stars, such as those comprising the "Winter
Hexagon," as seen above in this image by NASA.    Secondly,  night time
radiational cooling is at a minimum in the winter, so the atmosphere
experiences less turbulence *

*"Will we see better if we're on top of a hill or a mountain?"*
*-L.P.*

The higher your altitude, the thinner the air.      Remember that at sea
level, the atmosphere will obscure a lot of incoming celestial light.  (It
sort of makes up for this by sustaining life on Earth.)  If  you're
observing the sky from a mountain summit, you will enjoy magnificent views
that one won't generally see at a lower altitude.   However,  this effect
is negligible if you're on a hill that is only a few hundred feet above sea
level.   Trek up a mountain that is at least a mile high to truly start to
notice a difference.

*"If we're using a telescope, should we let it sit outside for awhile
before viewing?"*
*-R.G.*

Absolutely!   It is best to have a telescope at thermal equilibrium with
its surroundings to avoid the same air turbulence you would have in the
summer.       If you're viewing objects in the winter, you don't want to be
using a telescope that is at room temperature.   The telescope will cool as
you're using it, producing air ripples that will render viewing more
difficult.

*"Do you happen to know what sky watching apps are good for the phone?"*
*-C.C.*

Disclaimer:   I am afraid I do not have a smart phone, let alone any app
for one.   I have heard good things about the Night Sky 4 and Stellarium.
 There are undoubtedly others of comparable quality, but I am only basing
this answer on hearsay.