DAILY-ASTRONOMER Archives

Daily doses of information related to astronomy, including physics,

DAILY-ASTRONOMER@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Edward Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 2021 12:00:00 -0400
THE SOUTHWORTH PLANETARIUM
70 Falmouth Street      Portland,Maine 04103
(207) 780-4249      usm.maine.edu/planet
43.6667° N    70.2667° W  Altitude:  10 feet below sea level Founded
January 1970
2021-2022: XVII
"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
(Censored)

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER Friday, September 24, 2021
Quiz 4: The Quote Quiz

We have to admit, the taglines are perhaps the most beloved part of the
DAs! Those quotes are derived from many different sources and authors. So,
today's quiz pertains only to quotes. Can you match the quote with the
person to whom it has been attributed, either rightly or wrongly? Only one
of the following ten quotes has appeared as a tagline so far this "school
year," apart from the quote we've used today. (Yes, we didn't cite the
author of today's tagline because that would be cheating!)

*1. "Cogito Ergo Sum"*
a. Descartes
b. Socrates
c. Sartre
d. Newton

*2. "In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life
in your years."*
a. Abraham Lincoln
b. Maya Angelou
c. Albert Einstein
d. Anne Frank

*3. "With a new day comes new strength and new thoughts."*
a. Eleanor Roosevelt
b. Sisyphus
c. Gandhi
d. Lao Tzu

*4. "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the
subject."*
a. Franklin D. Roosevelt
b. Herbert Hoover
c. Winston Churchill
d. George Orwell

*5. "You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough."*
a. Albert Einstein
b. Mae West
c. Richard Branson
d. Charles Lindbergh

*6. "There is no time, sir, at which ties do not matter."*
a. Ralph Lauren
b. P.G. Wodehouse
c. Prince Charles
d. Ronald Reagan

*7. "I'd rather die of passion than of boredom."*
a. Ben Stein
b. Pablo Picasso
c. Vincent Van Gogh
d. Casanova

*8. "The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."*
a. Edwin Hubble
b. Neil deGrasse Tyson
c. Carl Sagan
d. Werner Heisenberg

*9. "It takes a lot of courage to show your dreams to someone else."*
a. Erma Bombeck
b. George Lucas
c. Marlon Brando
d. Lily Tomlin

*10. "Physical reality is consistent with universal laws. Where the laws do
not operate, there is no reality."*
a. Stephen Hawking
b. Mr. Spock
c. Dr. Who
d. Salvador Dali

ANSWERS
*1. "Cogito Ergo Sum"*
a. Descartes
"I think, therefore I am."
At least, I think that's what it means.

*2. "In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life
in your years."*
a. Abraham Lincoln

*3. "With a new day comes new strength and new thoughts."*
a. Eleanor Roosevelt

*4. "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the
subject."*
c. Winston Churchill

*5. "You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough."*
b. Mae West
Enough said.

*6. "There is no time, sir, at which ties do not matter."*
b. P.G. Wodehouse
Spoken by Wodehouse's best known character, the omni-competent valet
Jeeves.

*7. "I'd rather die of passion than of boredom."*
c. Vincent Van Gogh
The only quote used as a tagline earlier this school year.

*8. "The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."*
b. Neil deGrasse Tyson
Bah humbug!

*9. "It takes a lot of courage to show your dreams to someone else."*
a. Erma Bombeck

*10. "Physical reality is consistent with universal laws. Where the laws do
not operate, there is no reality."*
b. Mr. Spock
Not to be confused with the doctor of the same name.

https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DAILY-ASTRONOMER&A=
<https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DAILY-ASTRONOMER&A=1>