DAILY-ASTRONOMER Archives

Daily doses of information related to astronomy, including physics,

DAILY-ASTRONOMER@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Edward Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jul 2019 07:20:40 -0400
THE USM SOUTHWORTH PLANETARIUM
207-780-4249     www.usm.maine.edu/planet
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.usm.maine.edu%2Fplanet&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHulkHuLP13bOG2PkNrPazsGWFs2A>
70 Falmouth Street     Portland, Maine  04103
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/70+Falmouth+Street%C2%A0+%C2%A0+%C2%A0Portland,+Maine%C2%A0+04103?entry=gmail&source=g>
43.6667° N                   70.2667° W
Altitude:   10 feet below sea level
Founded January 1970

*CELESTIAL EXPLORATION CLASS:*
"Space Weather"
Monday, July 29, 2019 at   7:00 p.m.

[image: albert2_strip.jpg]
*Contemplative Albert:*   Students with the "Earth to Sky Calculus"
program launched a space weather balloon carrying this Albert Einstein
bobblehead 111,222 feet above the Sierra Nevada mountains in California.

We soar skyward during Monday evening's subterranean star dome excursion to
explore the rarefied "space weather" region: the tenuous boundary where
myriad meteoroids meet their makers and the solar outflow scintillates the
electrons into states of upper excitement.

Spaceweather occurs at Earth's upper rims, where our cozy home world rubs
against the harsh outer space environs.        Space weather involves not
only meteor showers and the Aurora Borealis, but also PHAs (Potentially
Hazardous Asteroids), sun spots, solar flares, Noctilucent clouds,  the
"green flash," that rapidly appears around the Sun just before sunrise and
just after sunset, and many other phenomena.

We all know our world is many layered: from the geodynamo inducing iron
core to the realm above the clouds.  Join us on Monday night as we discover
the wondrous world of spaceweather.
The class concludes with an 11-minute show entitled "Aurora Storm."

$12 enrollment
$20 for two people

Walk in registrations welcome!