DAILY-ASTRONOMER Archives

Daily doses of information related to astronomy, including physics,

DAILY-ASTRONOMER@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Edward Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 2020 12:02:00 -0500
THE SOUTHWORTH PLANETARIUM
207-780-4249   www.usm.maine.edu/planet
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.usm.maine.edu%2Fplanet&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHulkHuLP13bOG2PkNrPazsGWFs2A>
70 Falmouth Street   Portland, Maine 04103
43.6667° N                   70.2667° W
Altitude:  10 feet below sea level
Founded January 1970
Julian Date: 245912.16
2019-2020:  CIX
               "Heavens above!"

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Tuesday, March 3, 2020
March 2020 Night Sky Calendar  Part II

____________________________
*Sew What?*
Yesterday, this jeanius referred to the March full moon as the "sewing"
moon, when, of course,  I meant the "sowing" moon.
I must say I admire you all for your humor and creativity with some of your
care facility to buy a  "proof weeder."
I'll try to be more careful in  the future....and probably fail.
______________________________

The knight sky calendar continues....

*WEDNESDAY, MARCH 18:  MOON, MARS AND JUPITER WITHIN A CIRCLE OF DIAMETER
1.6 DEGREES (SILVER EVENT!!)*
What better reason to venture outside in the early morning.    You will see
the waning crescent moon "close" to the superior planets Mars and Jupiter.
Identifying these three worlds will prove easy.  First, the crescent moon
will look like, well, a crescent moon.  (29% illuminated)  Secondly.
Jupiter will be about sixteen times brighter than Mars.   Finally, Mars
will appear slightly reddish.

*THURSDAY, MARCH 19:  MOON NEAR SATURN*
Although not as spectacular as yesterday's event, the moon-Saturn appulse
is still a delight.   See the waning crescent moon (20% illuminated) close
to the ringed world in the eastern pre-dawn sky.

*THURSDAY, MARCH 19:  VERNAL EQUINOX  (11:49 p.m.) (GOLD EVENT!!!)*
*Wow!  Spring on March 19th!  It isn't common, but it can happen!*
The infant spring will wail, run, and keep us awake with its incessant
noise making, while old man winter will be interred in a neglected grave,
much to our unbounded delight.    Astronomically, the ascending Sun
intersects the celestial equator today.     Throughout the year, the  Sun
appears to move along an undulating curve that alternately descends below
and then ascends above the celestial equator, the projection of Earth's
equator onto the sky.

To understand why the Sun appears to vacillate between a high and low point
during the year, we need to view our planet's from a position outside its
orbit. Earth's axis is tilted relative to the vertical by 23.5 degrees.
 (See graphic below.)    As the planet revolves around the Sun, the
orientation of the Sun relatives to the north and south poles is constantly
changing.   When Earth reaches the Summer (June) solstice, the north pole
is aligned as close to the Sun as possible.   Consequently, the Sun's
altitude above the southern horizon is highest.    Six months later, the
North Pole is aligned away from the Sun as much as possible and the Sun's
altitude is lowest.      Conversely, in June, the south pole is pointed
away from the Sun and in December, the south pole is aligned close to the
Sun.

*The revolving Earth.    If Earth were not tilted on its axis, the Sun's
altitude wouldn't change throughout the year.   However, Earth's axis is
tilted relative to the vertical by 23.5 degrees.  As Earth revolves around
its parent star., its poles shift alignments relative to the Sun.  In the
winter, the northern hemisphere points away from the Sun and in the summer,
the northern hemisphere is directed toward the Sun.       On both
the vernal and autumnal equinoxes, neither pole is aligned toward the Sun,
which shines directly on the equator.        Image:  National Weather
Service*

On the equinoxes, neither pole is aligned toward the Sun, which appears to
shine directly on the equator. This date is called the equinox, from the
Latin term "aequinoctium," meaning "equal night."   Because Earth is
neither uniformly dense nor perfectly spherical, the Sun doesn't fall on
the planet evenly and we will not have twelve hours of daylight on the
equinox.

*FRIDAY, MARCH 20:   MARS 0.7  DEGREES S OF JUPITER *
See two of the morning superior planets move "close together" in the
eastern sky.    Jupiter will still be sixteen times brighter than Mars,
making them easy to distinguish.  Their apparent closeness is illusory:
Mars will be about 144 million miles from Earth tonight while Jupiter's
distance is approximately 514 million miles.

*SATURDAY, MARCH 21:  MOON NEAR MERCURY*
This morning one will find the moon (7% illuminated) close to Mercury, the
elusive first planet.  Mercury is slightly brighter than Mars and Saturn,
but still much dimmer than Jupiter.

*MONDAY, MARCH 23: MERCURY AT GREATEST WESTERN ELONGATION*
*(28 DEGREES)*
This is the best time to seek Mercury.    One will find the small planet in
the eastern pre-dawn sky about as far from the Sun in our sky as possible!

*TUESDAY, MARCH 24: NEW MOON*
Beginning of lunation cycle 1203.

*TUESDAY, MARCH 24:  VENUS AT GREATEST EASTERN ELONGATION*
The day after Mercury reaches greatest western elongation in the eastern
pre-dawn sky, Venus reaches greatest eastern elongation in the western
evening sky.
Venus starts the evening high in the west at sunset.

*SATURDAY, MARCH 28: MOON NEAR VENUS (BRONZE EVENT!)*
See the waxing crescent moon (15% illuminated) and Venus together in the
western evening sky.    The sight of the night sky's two brightest worlds
close together is always indescribably beautiful.

*TUESDAY, MARCH 31:   MARS 0.9 DEGREES SE OF SATURN*
Mars is only slightly brighter than Saturn.   However, as Mars exhibits a
distinctive crimson hue, one shouldn't experience much difficulty in
distinguishing between them.  See them both in the eastern pre-dawn sky.

PLANET WATCH

*MERCURY* returns to the morning sky by mid month.    This world is always
elusive, but its greatest western elongation on the 24th brings it 28
degrees from the Sun.   VERDICT:  You would be well advised to seek out
Mercury during the last week of March.

*VENUS (PICK PLANET):*    Venus is that brilliant light one can find in the
western evening sky all month.    VERDICT:  Oh, this one is easy.  Step
outside soon after dark and one will Venus' bright light before any other
celestial object appears, save the moon.

*MARS *will become quite a spectacle later this summer and into the
autumn.  For now, it remains low in the eastern pre-dawn sky.   VERDICT:
Even though it is growing brighter each day, Mars isn't an easy planet to
observe owing to its low position and mid morning rise time.    Faint
hearted Mars watchers can wait until late spring to start searching for the
red planet.

*JUPITER *dazzles in the early morning!   It is the brightest of the three
superior planets currently visible in the morning sky.   VERDICT:  If
you're up before sunrise, seek out Jupiter.  It is the brilliant morning
sky beacon.

SATURN doesn't dazzle, but is becoming easier to observe.    Like Jupiter,
Saturn will reach opposition in July and so will grow brighter as we move
into spring and summer.   VERDICT:  Don't go out of your way to find Saturn
just yet.  If you're up at 5 am and want to see it, you'll find it in the
east.  Otherwise, wait until mid spring.

https://lists.maine.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DAILY-ASTRONOMER&A=1