DAILY-ASTRONOMER Archives

Daily doses of information related to astronomy, including physics,

DAILY-ASTRONOMER@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Edward Herrick-Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward Herrick-Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2022 12:00:04 -0500
THE SOUTHWORTH PLANETARIUM
70 Falmouth Street      Portland, Maine 04103
(207) 780-4249      usm.maine.edu/planet
43.6667° N    70.2667° W  Altitude:  10 feet below sea level Founded
January 1970
2021-2022: LXV
"Look deep into nature and then you will understand everything better."
-Albert Einstein

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER Friday, January 14, 2022
Quiz # 15: Stars

Now that we've celebrated the arrival of another new year, we can now offer
a simple astronomy quiz about well, what else, stars! You know, those
luminescent pinpricks adorning our night sky. A lovely bit of astronomy to
conclude our week.

Enjoy!

*1. ______________ is the closest star system to the Sun*
a. Sirius
b. Alpha Centauri
c. Ross 236
d. Procyon

*2. _____________ is the brightest star in the night sky*
a. Sirius
b. Betelgeuse
c. Alpha Centauri
d. Sun

3. Luminosity measures the amount of energy a star produces __________
a. per second
b. per minute
c. per hour
d. per year

4. *Every second the Sun fuses about ____________ tons of hydrogen.*
a. 10,000
b. one million
c. 50 million
d.  647 million

5. *A star's absolute magnitude is directly related to the star's
___________________.*
a. distance
b. luminosity
c. size
d. temperature

6.  *The more massive a star is at birth the_________ it will be.*
a. more long lived
b. more luminous
c. redder
d. metal rich

7. * If star A's radius is 3 times that of star B, how much larger is A
than B in terms of volume?*
a.  3 times
b.  9 times
c.  27 times
d.  81 times

*8. Approximately _______________ stars are visible to the unaided eye
throughout the night.*
a.  2,000
b. 4,500
c.  7,100
d. 10,000

*9.  Approximately _____________ stars are born every second throughout the
Universe.*
a. 1,200
b. 2,400
c. 4,800
d. 9.600

*10. In what year was the first star set into place on Hollywood's Walk of
Fame?*
a. 1948
b. 1953
c. 1957
d. 1960

ANSWERS
*1. ______________ is the closest star system to the Sun*
b. Alpha Centauri
At a distance of 4.37 light years, the triple star system Alpha Centauri is
the closest star system to the Sun.
It is only visible south of the 30th north parallel.

*2. _____________ is the brightest star in the night sky*
a. Sirius

3. Luminosity measures the amount of energy a star produces __________
a. per second

4. *Every second the Sun fuses about ____________ tons of hydrogen.*
d.  647 million

*5. A star's absolute magnitude is directly related to the star's
___________________.*
b. luminosity

6.  *The more massive a star is at birth the_________ it will be.*
b. more luminous

7. * If star A's radius is 3 times that of star B, how much larger is A
than B in terms of volume?*
c.  27 times
A sphere's volume is proportional to the cube of its radius.    If star A's
radius is three times greater than star B, its volume will be 3 x 3 x 3 =
27 times greater than star B.

*8. Approximately _______________ stars are visible to the unaided eye
throughout the night.*
d. 10,000

*9.  Approximately _____________ stars are born every second throughout the
Universe.*
c. 4,800
We add a night's sky worth of stars to the cosmos every 2.1 seconds

*10. In what year was the first star set into place on Hollywood's Walk of
Fame?*
d. 1960

See you on Tuesday!
Enjoy the weekend.