DAILY-ASTRONOMER Archives

Daily doses of information related to astronomy, including physics,

DAILY-ASTRONOMER@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Edward Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 May 2019 12:08:13 -0400
THE USM SOUTHWORTH PLANETARIUM
207-780-4249     www.usm.maine.edu/planet
70 Falmouth Street     Portland, Maine  04103
43.6667° N                   70.2667° W
Altitude:   10 feet below sea level
Founded January 1970
Julian date:  2458631.5
                   "My brain has no heart.  My heart has no brain.  That's
why when I speak my mind, I seem heartless and when I do what's in my
heart, I seem thoughtless."
                  -I don't know who wrote this, but if you do, please let
me know.

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Tuesday, May 28, 2019
The Stars That Made Us Walk Upright

Awhile ago (a week, geologically), our food-foraging forebearers developed
the ability to walk upright, as opposed to meandering about the swamps and
savannas with backs arched over and arms swung low.  This evolutionary
development proved quite beneficial for them as erect postures rendered
their movements swifter and enabled them to develop finer motor skills in
the fingers that had previously dangled low to the ground.     Such
dexterity and efficiency came in handy when pursuing prey, eluding
predators and, eventually, constructing rudimentary tools.    Of course the
absence of an erect spine didn't prove to be as much of an impediment for
our simian grandparents who tended to swing gracefully between low hanging
tree branches.   For this reason, some evolutionary biologists have
surmised that migrating out of forests and into grasslands might have
prompted our posture transformation.

How, you might be wondering, could this evolutionary blasphemy possibly
pertain to the stars?    Are we suggesting that the forebearers were so
enraptured by the night sky they moved out onto the grasslands so as to get
a better look at it?!   Well, no, actually.     However, a recent theory
suggests around 3 -5 million years ago (around the time of the
Australopithecus)
a series of relatively nearby supernova explosions casts copious quantities
of cosmic rays onto Earth.  This charged particle onslaught was thought to
have been so powerful that it allowed many of these rays to penetrate below
the magnetic field and into the planet's lower atmosphere. The introduction
of these electron-exciting rays ionized the air to such an extent that
lightning strikes became far more frequent than they had been.   The
increase in lightning discharges increased the incidence of forest fires
around the region inhabited by members of the Australopithecus genus.

Forests were -and are- constantly catching fire through natural processes.
  In fact, periodic fires serve to revitalize forests.  However, if these
fires are more frequent than usual, forests won't have the time to
recover.   Constant fires would have depleted, rather than sustained the
forests.   It is possible that the widespread destruction of these sylvan
tracts would have prompted our ancestors to relocate to the grasslands
which would have exerted the evolutionary pressure on them to eventually
walk erect.     Or, so goes the theory...

-Highly massive stars explode through the galaxy approximately once every
400 - 800 years.     On occasion, a cluster of these supernova explosions
might have occurred close by a few million years ago. Researchers think
this might be the case because of the disproportionately high abundance of
the isotope of Iron-60 in the ocean crusts: an isotope known to be a by
product of Type II supernova detonations.

-The explosions ionize the atmosphere, causing a sharp increase in
lightning strikes.

-The lightning strike increase relates to a commensurate increase in forest
fires, causing our forebearers to retreat to less forested regions where
they would develop erect postures.

Theories aren't ever really correct. They can be widely accepted until some
evidence is discovered to contradict some of the theory's tenets.
Did a clustering of exploding stars accelerate human evolution?
We will never knew with satisfying certainty.  It is certainly plausible to
suggest that we're sitting here in front of a computer screen for 8 - 12
hours a day because our ancestors eventually walked upright due to
widespread forest fires induced to some extent by supernova explosions
ionizing our air.

What is certain is that everything in the cosmos is interconnected,
sometimes closely, at other times remotely.    Many of these connections
are so intricate that we've only started to understand some of them.
Others await discovery.   Life, being it so grinding and annoying, will, at
least, never be boring.