DAILY-ASTRONOMER Archives

Daily doses of information related to astronomy, including physics,

DAILY-ASTRONOMER@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Edward Herrick-Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward Herrick-Gleason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Mar 2022 12:00:00 -0400
THE SOUTHWORTH PLANETARIUM
70 Falmouth Street      Portland, Maine 04103
(207) 780-4249      usm.maine.edu/planet
43.6667° N    70.2667° W  Altitude:  10 feet below sea level Founded
January 1970
2021-2022: XCIV
            "You have learnt something. That always feels at first as if
you had lost something."  George Bernard Shaw

THE DAILY ASTRONOMER
Friday, March 18, 2022
Quiz # 22: St. Patrick's Jeopardy

In order to celebrate the holiday that has already happened, we offer a St.
Patrick's day quiz. This time we're offering the Jeopardy format. We offer
the answer and you must supply the question. This quiz actually pertains to
all of Ireland, not just St. Patrick. Although, naturally, he will make an
appearance.

Best o'luck to ye!

1.  This is the second largest city in the Republic of Ireland

2.  This Irishman wrote "Man and Superman"

3.  This headless spirit rides on a horse and visits those about to
die.  He is said to use a human spine as a whip.

4.  Ireland consists of this many traditional counties

5. St. Patrick was said to have originated from this city.

6. The Twelve Bens are these types of objects.

7. The circle in the center of a Celtic Cross represents this.

8.  This alcoholic beverage is used in Irish coffee

9.  The children of Lir were transformed into these.

10.  This tragic event occurred between the years 1845 - 1849.

11. He was said to be the first High King of Ireland.

12.  In 1988, the city of Dublin celebrated this birthday.

13.  This is the northernmost Irish county.

14. This is a fairy woman reputed to wail and cry at the impending
death of members of certain families

15. It was considered an omen of death when these flew over the house.

16. Paul David Hewson is the given name of this Irish rock band's lead
singer.

17.  St Patrick was reputed to have expelled these creatures from Ireland

ANSWERS

1. What is  Cork?

2.  Who is Bernard Shaw?

3. Who is the Dullahan?